R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross

Go down 
+4
joa44
Poppy
babyblossom
Blossoms_and_Blessings
8 posters
AuthorMessage

we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross Empty
PostSubject: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 17:11

Ok, the surgery was supposed to be an exploritory to see if they could see anything the MRI couldnt, with the chance that they do see a problem and can fix while in there. That is what happened. Turns out the muscles and tendons/ligaments on the left side of kalysta's leg are to tight and pull seriously on her knee cap. The muscle on the right inner side is under developed and cant compensate for the pulling on the left side. This left Kalysta's knee cap in the wrong place causing damaged. The kneecap was dragging across the ridge to the side of where the kneecap should sit. This would explain the bruising the dr saw on the MRI under the kneecap. The dr had to shave and smooth the underside of the kneecap and cut loose the tight stuff on the leftside so the kneecap goes where it is suppossed to......She is in alot of pain but the on going problem causing her pain for along time is now fixed! She goes back on the 19'th to get stiches out and we will talk about whether or not she will need the same surgery on the other knee and what this will mean for her softball and other athletic activities!

Here is the before and after pic

we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross IMG_0501-1
Back to top Go down
Blossoms_and_Blessings
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Blossoms_and_Blessings

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 17:29

I'm so glad they were able to find, and fix, the problem!
Back to top Go down
babyblossom
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
babyblossom

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 18:32

That's great Sarah Beth! I know she will be in pain while it all heals but hopefully no more pain later on wink
Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 18:45

Wow, she sure is brave - that's great she has it over with and praying for a great recovery and healing bigsmile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 18:50

Thanks! She seems to be doing pretty good now! She didnt even ask for her next dose of pain meds so she must not be hurting to bad! Woohoo!!

I need advice though, the dr says she can walk on her leg and shouldnt need crutches. If she is still having pain while walking on monday, you think I should let her use her crutches for school? She does ALOT of walking including stairs several times throughout the day!
Back to top Go down
babyblossom
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
babyblossom

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 18:58

When Georgia broke her foot and had a full cast on her leg for 8 weeks she was in a lot of pain for the first week, and her school has lots of stairs etc so I kept her home for 2 weeks. I didn't want her going back until she was confident enough on her crutches.

Maybe let Kalysta go and walk around for a few minutes to see if she is ready to go back, with or without crutches?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 19:01

We may do that...I guess I am more cautious then the dr...He says just bandage the 3 incisions she has, but i am wanting a brace on that knee for some extra support....I mean she lost some connections in there!
Back to top Go down
babyblossom
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
babyblossom

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 19:04

I totally understand Sarah Beth wink

When Kalysta goes back to school she may not make the full day? Georgia was surprised at how hard it was walking around on crutches all day, the full heavy cast didn't help though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 19:06

Yes, crutshes is hard! She was on them for 6 weeks in september of 2010(from a problem with this knee) and again for 6 weeks in may of 2011...she isnt wanting to use them unless she has to! I bet she will want to considering! lol
Back to top Go down
Blossoms_and_Blessings
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Blossoms_and_Blessings

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 19:11

I know whenever my dad has surgery, they try and get him up and walking around as soon as possible. Using the knee will help it gain use faster and not let the muscles get "out of practice".
Back to top Go down
babyblossom
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
babyblossom

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 19:12

Poor thing, will be praying for a speedy recovery for her and hopefully no more crutches ever! prayer
Back to top Go down
joa44
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 20:10

Blossoms_and_Blessings wrote:
I know whenever my dad has surgery, they try and get him up and walking around as soon as possible. Using the knee will help it gain use faster and not let the muscles get "out of practice".
yep this part is very important.....that is why he doesnt want a brace i would think.
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 20:38

When Robin's mom had hip surgery, they got her up right away but made her use a walker for a short time just so she wouldn't fall, being a senior citizen but they moved her to a cane real quick after, too. She didn't do her exercises and listen to the doctors and babied the hips so its taking her a lot longer to recover. Listen to the doctor. bigsmile
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
momiof4girlz
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 21:58

Praying her problem is solved for that knee anyways. I pray for a speedy recovery with very little pain. What a brave girl!! Hugs Barbi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 23:22

I agree i think she needs to walk on it but i am just worried. Since the dr cut the stuff loose on the one side(I know not all of it but still some) she has less support becuase of the under developed muscle on the other side. She has been off of it all day(no weight today or tomorrow except to go to bathroom) and when she went to the bathroom, oh my gosh!!! She was almost screaming in pain! This child is a tough nut to! Rememebr she is the one who was doing the school play and trying out for majorette with a broken foot and craked tail bone....she also finsihed a softball game with a broken arm(in our defense we ddint know it was broke, we kept it on ice when she wasnt in play) and won MVP of the game becuase of it!! lol

So when she is on serious adult pain meds and still crying , i know she is hurting!! sad I am gonna talk to the dr...she is having some serious pulling pain where he cut the stuff loose....I have gotton her more comfortable again but we will stick to taking bathroom breaks with full meds onboard!
Back to top Go down
tanya1975
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
tanya1975

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptyFri 6 Jan 2012 - 23:24

That's so great Sarah!!She will be better very soon!!
Back to top Go down
LittlePunkins
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
LittlePunkins

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross EmptySat 7 Jan 2012 - 0:59

loveyou! I'm glad they found the problem. Praying for a speedy and full recovery.
Back to top Go down
http://littlepunkinsreborns.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross   we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross Empty

Back to top Go down

we are home from kalystas surgery!!! Warning, pic included, not gross
Page 1 of 1