R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
meltodd2012
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try Empty
PostSubject: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptyFri 13 Dec 2013 - 15:30

Hi there everyone!!

My name is Melissa, 28, from Canada. I have looked at Reborns for a few years now online... became obsessed with them but never bought one. I always said to myself "I really want to make one of those someday!"..

I have always been into crafting, polymer clay, etc... but these reborns are amazing. Another thing is I LOVE fairies. Up until recently I never saw reborn fairies and then I found 'Rose' mini kit by Shawna Clymer (ONLY 300 Worldwide).... and I HAD to have her.... to be my first reborn. So I bought her last night and she is on the way... YAY!!

Now the only thing on my mind is... now what do I do, and what do I buy to complete her? Joining this forum I am hoping I can get the answers I am looking for so I can complete this little wee one. I don't have a lot of money and I do not want to buy things I do not need. I want to make her pale with as much realistic details as possible.

I just want to say I am very excited to be part of this forum... with all of you amazing reborn artist. I am very greatful! Hoping I can get the answers I need very quickly as I want to order my supplies ASAP...... my boyfriend bought the fairy kit for me for christmas... I would like to get her started first thing in the new year...

Lets just say... I am VERY EXCITED!!!!!

Back to top Go down
stace999
Toddler
Toddler
stace999

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptyFri 13 Dec 2013 - 16:05

Welcome!! You sound like you have done lots of research and you will also learn a ton from being apart of this and other reborn forums!! Good luck and be sure to post lots of pics as you go! Also where in Canada are you from? I'm from B.C.!
Back to top Go down
meltodd2012
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptyFri 13 Dec 2013 - 16:16

Thank you! I am in New Brunswick
Back to top Go down
Bornannew
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Bornannew

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptyFri 13 Dec 2013 - 23:19

Welcome and I know you will love it...happy for you! happyhappy happyhappy 
Back to top Go down
meltodd2012
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptyFri 13 Dec 2013 - 23:33

Thank you!

Im so anxious to order my supplies.. is there a list on here somewhere stating the "must have" items for reborning.. I will be doing a mini (9-10 inch).. like paint colors, brush size, rooting tool, needle size, etc... I wish I had a list... then I can put my order in asap.. also would LOVE to know how much hair i will need for a mini.
Back to top Go down
Bornannew
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Bornannew

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptySun 15 Dec 2013 - 0:53

This is a list made by Joy from a previous thread...check it out and decide what you want...need..and go from there!

wink 

Hi
I am a bit of a rebel here when it comes to supplies. I see that on your list you have some things that I do not think you need or at least don't need to have so large. And....your rooting needles are WAY TOO big! You will be SO frustrated and disappointed if you get those. Now, here is what I think we all need as basics:

Genesis Heat Set Paints:
ultramarine blue.....little pot....you will never use much at a time and the little size will last you years.
Phthalo green 6......little pot
Flesh 08.......if you can afford a big jar then get it....you will use this all the time
Flesh 07...... the same as above
BB Eyelid color......smallest available....I am still on my first little jar after 2 or 3 years and prob. 20 babies
BB Lip Nail and Blush....this is the "cool" color........a medium to large jar....you will use this frequently
Pyrolle Red 2.......this is a MUST and get medium to large jar
yellow ochre........tiny jar
burnt umber.......tiny jar
mars black.....tiny jar
titanium white......tiny jar ..... the only time I have used it is to make a lighter blue color , but necessary to have.
genesis yellow........tiny jar......
earth mint..........I like it better than mixing my own green wash
The pyrolle red 2 made a HUGE difference in the colors of my mottling and blushing. When I first used it I was shocked at much nicer the baby looked. It is truly a MUST HAVE.

Thinning medium........ounce jar.......I use a lot of this product
Thick Medium......small jar
Glazing gel.......small jar
Matte Varnish.......ounce or larger jar
I buy the gel, thinning medium and matte varnish from Jasmine's Cottage on Ebay. The sell the 4 ounce size for about 10 to 15 dollars depending on product and have free shipping. It is a heck of a good deal.

SUPPLIES:

Brushes:
1/2 inch Maxine's Mop
1/4 inch Maxine's Mop
3/4 or 1 inch Maxine's Mop for blending
the tiniest script liner you can find.......like 20/00 or 18......the smallest you can find
#2 filbert
#1 round
I use a very soft bristle sort of floppy brush for brushing on colors for washes or dark skinned babies. I don't know what it is called, but it is the kid kind of brush for water color etc.
I also ordered a nail set of brushes from China for about 5 to 15 total including shipping. Lara also has a set. They are great for odd places and for creases and eyebrows. You get like 10 or 12 brushes in a set.

SPONGES:

Sea sponges in large, medium and small sizes. I don't mean in actual size but in size of the patterns on the sponges. You will use these for mottling and for faux capillary beds, and for blushing. So you need a little variety. Household sponges cut up are also useful.

Cosmetic sponges: Secrist sells some that are very very strong. This works well for the mottling sponges but I don't like them for regular pouncing. The ones from the drug store or walmart work just as well for pouncing and for mottling. It is just that I find the Secrist ones don't get floppy and fall apart easily.

ROOTING:

I use a 43 1 barb needle. I would not suggest that a first time rooter start with a smallneedle like that, but on the other hand neither would I suggest any needle larger than a 40g. So.....get 40g crowns or 40g 1barb. Seriously do not use anything larger. It will give you big holes in the head even when you heat the head with a rice sock. It is less frustrating and more cost effective to start out with a size that will help you learn and not destroy your vinyl in the process.
I get my needles from Lara here on REAL, Stephanie Sullivan at Hunnybuns Nursery, or from Gina Smith at Nonie's Nursery. BB does not carry the kind and size I use.

RICE SOCKS......make your self and couple. I use a regular sock that has no mate and I fill it with about 3 hands of reg cheap white rice, tie the top of the sock in a knot. I leave a lot of the sock empty so that it can be used in any size head. When I go to heat the sock I just wet my hands a lot and rub the sock until it feels damp, then put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. I see steam and I then can take it out and put it in the head. I then stuff a dry dishcloth or two or cloth diaper in the hole to keep the rice sock in position and the heat in the head. When It starts to get cool I just re heat it.

OVEN THERMOMETER........a MUST

PALLETS:
Whatever you can use that you can afford. PLBD recommends individual baking dishes like you make custard in......unless you already own them they can be too expensive to buy for this purpose.
I have a ceramic one that is a Petal Shape like Lara uses. I got it on sale for about 8 dollars from Sandi's Doll House. I have also used a ceramic one that I got from Dolls so Real that is square and lets you mix gradations of color. I paid 6.99 for it but the shipping was like 4 or 5 dollars.
The easiest to use are old saucers with the indentation for the cup in the middle. FINALLY a use for all those odd saucers that came with our dishes. And, after almost 50 years of marriage and 9 kids we have gone thru a LOT of dish sets! NO one drinks coffee or tea here. So, I have tons of saucers. Love to use them when doing a wash.

CLEANERS AND THINNERS

I use 91% alcohol to clean my brushes and work area. It will also strip the paint from the kit a little gentler than acetone. You buy it at the drug store or grocery. But make sure it is 91%.

I use Sunnyside Odorless Paint Thinner from the local ACO hardware store. It is 4.98 for a quart. It is truly odorless, does a great job, and is readily available. I think Mona Lisa and Masterpiece odorless thinners have an awful smell. JMO

Pure Acetone........for stripping a boo boo baby. Do not get suckered inot using the goof off stuff or anything that is gooey. It will leave a terrible residue on the vinyl and the kit will never be right. Just use acetone outside or in a very well ventilated space and it will take the paint off quickly and efficiently.

DAWN detergent. It even took cat pee out of a kit I purchased on line! THAT sold me on the brand for sure. It is the only detergent I use for the vinyl and for my equipment.

MISC.
Cotton pads......cosmetic pads......do not order them from online just buy from dollar store or walmart etc. used for stripping and for cleaning the kit in the beginning.

Tooth picks pointed ends

Qtips......best to get the pointed ended ones. Available at local stores

White nail pencil......

WHITE dish towels to use for lining your halogen oven or your baking sheets for the reg. oven. Make sure they are WHITE

Plastic party cloth to protect your work surface. I use the kind from the dollar store. And I also use a big square of cardboard from an old box that I cover with paper towels. It is great! I've used the same one for more than a year and it shows no sign of falling apart. It absorbs the thinners and the paint mixes without it going thru to the table or cloth.

tweezers......plucking out hairs, making mottle sponges
long forceps......reaching into large heads
small forceps... various odd uses
nail clippers ......for cable tie clipping
old toothbrushes.......one for stripping.......one for rooting.

I think I have gotten it all.......but am sure I will have forgotten some things. All I know is my wrists are tired from typing and I am sure your eyes are tired from reading! LOL

Best of luck
Joy

Show message history
Reply, Reply All or Forward | M
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptyMon 16 Dec 2013 - 22:57

Hi , welcome to REAL! welcome  :real:  Kathy
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013 - 10:40

I have a great DVD with step by step instructions on how to paint your baby:
http://realreborn.net/collections/320772-instructional-dvds/products/1458462-basics-of-reborning-dvd

It also comes with a free eBook

Here is the basic paint set that you will need:
http://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10389

And your basic brushes:
http://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9435

If you need help with rooting, I have a wonderful DVD available, then again will go over the process step by step with extreme close ups to help you see the hair going into the head with the needle.

http://realreborn.net/collections/320772-instructional-dvds/products/1457719-new-micro-rooting-dvd

Good luck with your new adventure!!! You'll love it!!!!  happyhappy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try   Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try Empty

Back to top Go down

Brand New to Reborns ..... I want to give it a try
Page 1 of 1