R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....

Go down 
+2
Kristen
gnomeish
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gnomeish

Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... Empty
PostSubject: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyWed 19 Nov 2014 - 15:18

So I guess I'm kind of an impulsive person. Let me say that kids/babies/etc have never really been my thing but for the past week I've been watching videos of people unboxing reborn dolls and although the vids are a little sappy sometimes I still end up smiling at them.

I'm hoping to win an auction for a reborn boy doll and have him here by Christmas, but I've never encountered one in real life. My plan I think is to use him for a bit of therapy.... I've always been a bit emotionally stunted, have had trouble letting myself feel emotions and the one safe place I can relax is at home. With the reborn I am hoping to be able to just sort of be with him, get over the initial embarrassment and just talk to him about things, buy him cute outfits. I highly doubt I'll do bathing or pretend feeding or buy car seats like some folks do but in watching the videos I started feeling kind of drawn to them and distressed because of this feeling of wanting to connect to someone, even if this someone is a doll.

So I was wondering if anyone else here used these kinds of dolls as therapy or is/was in a situation like mine? And let me clarify that I don't think its a bad idea to buy cribs and carriers/etc for your reborns, it's just something I know is not for me.

Also I'm 27, in my last year of college, and I'm an art student so who knows, maybe one day I'll reborn dolls of my own when I'm living away from humanity in a house in the woods like I've always wanted, haha.

Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
Kristen
Toddler
Toddler
Kristen

PostSubject: Re: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyWed 19 Nov 2014 - 19:49

Hi and WELCOME! :)

I can relate to not feeling like this was my thing for a long time. It's something that I kind of stumbled into by circumstance. I've never purchased a doll for myself but have received two through swaps with other artists, just for fun thinking that I would never really get 'attached' to a doll per say but I have found myself thinking they have a special place in my heart (I KNOW totally corny!). LOL

I know it's not a 'normal' past time but I do think it's a lot of fun and if you think of it like that instead of weird you might enjoy it a little more. I'm still very secretive about being an artist because as a college student, it certainly IS NOT NORMAL so I don't share on my personal Facebook or anything but my family loves it so I think it can't be thaaaaaat crazy. :)

I don't pretend to bathe them or bring them out in carseats but I do find myself changing their clothes and bringing them around the house randomly. I have a crib and bouncer for photography purposes, not sure I would have bought the crib if I was just a collector but probably the bouncer. Oh, I have brought them out in public with me for photo shoots and to meet with local people for consults and it's always gone really well. One day maybe someone will think they're creepy or something I'm sure but what are they really going to say?!

Anyway, these are just my thoughts and experiences. I hope you enjoy your first reborn, they can be a lot of fun! The box opening is always so much fun!
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

PostSubject: Welcome   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyThu 20 Nov 2014 - 2:50

Hi Gnomeish, and welcome to REAL!!

Don't ever feel shy around here.. .we all LOVE reborns and we all have our different reasons why these little bundles make us happy!!

This is the place to be!! There are artists, collectors and people who just love this wonderful artistry of reborns.

My niece uses these reborns as therapy and has found that they even lower her blood pressure, and that.. is a wonderful thing!

I believe that there are many people that use these reborns as therapy and that makes my heart happy!!!

I had bought 7 of them before I decided to reborn my own!

Enjoy your reborn when he arrives, they are so much fun!
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyThu 20 Nov 2014 - 13:17

Hi, welcome to REAL! welcome Glad to have ya!! There is plenty to learn here, plus lots of collectors here as well. Collectors have many different reasons why they collect ,and why they reborn. In todays world we just try to do what makes us all happy.happyforyou! hamsterdance dancingelephant You will just love recieving your first reborn!!! WELCOME!! Kathy
Back to top Go down
gnomeish

PostSubject: Re: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyThu 20 Nov 2014 - 20:55

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice/stories

It does help a lot reading these posts.

I've become really surprisingly too attached to images of a doll I'm not even guaranteed to win. How do you all deal with disappointment when it comes to these dolls? I'm really surprised I feel so attached and one person already bid also, though I don't think the doll is one that would be heavily sought after, he is just a great deal.
Back to top Go down
pia46
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
pia46

PostSubject: Re: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyThu 20 Nov 2014 - 22:20

gnomeish wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes and the advice/stories

It does help a lot reading these posts.

I've become really surprisingly too attached to images of a doll I'm not even guaranteed to win. How do you all deal with disappointment when it comes to these dolls? I'm really surprised I feel so attached and one person already bid also, though I don't think the doll is one that would be heavily sought after, he is just a great deal.
Want to share the auction so we can critique the baby?
Back to top Go down
gnomeish

PostSubject: Re: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyThu 20 Nov 2014 - 22:54

Sure, I gotta say I figured people would like him less from what I've seen because of all the hair and stuff... if nothing else maybe I can find out the name of the kit and go from there. I also am not used to the ways of the forum yet and couldn't figure out how to quote.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281502981664?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4449&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI281502981664.N2.S2.M2327.R1.TR2
Back to top Go down
izzy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
izzy

PostSubject: Re: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... EmptyThu 20 Nov 2014 - 23:47

First of all, :real:

About the auctions: he looks like Leah by Sandra White. To be honest, the photos look a little blurry, which could distort what the doll really looks like in person. But, if you really want him, go for it! Of course, you could always get a custom of this kit, or do what I did and get a painted kit and assemble it yourselves (which is a lot cheaper). bigsmile Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://izzyooaks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....   Hiya, I'm kind of nervous.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiya, I'm kind of nervous....
Page 1 of 1