R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Newborn fish

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cheri (craftsbycheri)
Toddler
Toddler

Newborn fish Empty
PostSubject: Newborn fish   Newborn fish EmptyFri 18 Nov 2011 - 18:10

Our son has a fish tank and several years ago he had a pair of sailfin mollys and they had at least 2 babies and eventually the parents died too. Unfortunately the babies didn't make it. Earlier this spring he got a couple more for his tank. He kept telling me that he thought the female looked like she was getting bigger. Well today he was going to clean out his tank like he does about once a month and he noticed there was a baby fish in there. He has a nursery of sorts to put the babies in. So he started catching them and so far she has had 8 babies. They are so small and cute. I hope they make it. They are so fast when you try to take a picture they are gone before the camera snaps the picture. But here is one picture I got. It is kind of blurry but hopefully I can get more later. This just one of the babies but looks like 2 because you can see his reflection.
Cheri
Newborn fish P1040790
Back to top Go down
http://craftsbycheri.webs.com/
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

Newborn fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newborn fish   Newborn fish EmptyFri 18 Nov 2011 - 18:17

You know I just saw my first baby fish a few weeks ago. We bought Sofie 2 goldfish and one ofthem we thought was going to die cuz it kept sitting on the bottom of the tank. Well, tuned out she had a baby. It was so small, you could barely see it, but an itty bitty fish all the same. One day it just disappeared, so either the other one ate it, or it got sucked into the filter, I have no idea. I wish it would have made it though. The girls thought it was so neat.
Back to top Go down
Cheri (craftsbycheri)
Toddler
Toddler

Newborn fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newborn fish   Newborn fish EmptyFri 18 Nov 2011 - 20:37

They are so cute as babies. We only have 6. We thought we had 8 but the nursery he had them, they were able to slip out and get back into the big tank with the big fish. Our son, Cody, read that the bigger fish would eat the babies. So he went to the pet store and got a different nursery that hangs on the outside of the big tank. But he could only find 6 to put in it. So either the other 2 were eaten or are hiding in the plants. Cody read that they can have up 100 babies at one time. I hope she doesn't have that many. Maybe the pet store will buy the babies from us though.
Cheri
Back to top Go down
http://craftsbycheri.webs.com/
Lynknursery
Lynknursery

Newborn fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newborn fish   Newborn fish EmptyFri 18 Nov 2011 - 21:31

I used to breed swords and guppies (tropicals) and my brother made me special glass tanks fro the nurseries. There were 3 separate partitions that each had a little trap door that slid down to separate from the main front portion. I would place the pregnant mother into the nursery tank when she was getting close to delivering (you get to know when) then as soon as she had finished delivering you would know as it wa then that she would start to chase the babies and try and eat them. she was then moved to the front portion to observe to make sure she had finished before moving her back to the main tank. I could move babies from one section to another by using the trap door systems hence making sure that at all times I was able to have one free compartment to place another delivery into. I would get so upset with myself if I messed a delivery and she started having them in the main tank as it became feeding frenzy time for all in the tank.

Tropicals are cannibals, they will definitely eat their young.

My local pet store would buy them back from me in store credit. For nearly 2 years I never had to pay cash for any food, chemicals, etc for my tanks. If I need to restock adults I would just keep some from the breed or go use store credit and pick out some I liked.
Back to top Go down
http://lynkproducts.com.au
Sponsored content

Newborn fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newborn fish   Newborn fish Empty

Back to top Go down

Newborn fish
Page 1 of 1