R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

how long does it take to root an older baby?

Go down 
+3
bearysweethearts
Karen
With Love Nursery
7 posters
AuthorMessage
With Love Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
With Love Nursery

how long does it take to root an older baby? Empty
PostSubject: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptyTue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:53

I have never rooted an older baby. Since the head is twice the size of what I usually root, I want to know from someone whose rooted such a big head, on average how long does it take? I have a deadline and need to know if I will have enough time.
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptyTue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:57

Really, it depends on the type of mohair you'll be using. If you use young adult, it will be a fuller head of hair and won't take much longer. Kathy(bearysweethearts) rooted Ladybug in less than a week. I haven't rooted a full toddler yet, but it seems to me that the bigger the head, the less time it takes for me. The longest head for me to root was on a preemie! I'm probably not the norm, though, so I hope someone else who has done this comes along soon to help answer this question.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
With Love Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
With Love Nursery

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptyTue 18 Oct 2011 - 13:13

Well I bought slumerland mohair. I have never rooted with it but everyone says how much they like it so I thought I would give it a try. I really need to give myself enough time to do it. I have been debating weather to root or paint the hair. Once I start rootibg there's no turning back lol. I prefer to root hair because it looks better, but if I don't have enough time I might have to paint it
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptyThu 20 Oct 2011 - 11:33

I honestly think its different for everyone,depending on how fast you are,type of hair,different vinyls, different needles .I just rooted Oliver in 2 afternoons about 6 hours using 42 ultra's. My Bo elle was the largest one I have done which was around 18 to20 hours using 43 german forked, but she had longer hair with pigtails. I do agree with Karen ,on some realy small heads,if you are doing the real sparce look,you have to go slow and be very careful about only one hair comming through. I tend to break a needle or 2 when going fast though wink hugs, Kathy
Back to top Go down
shybushbaby
Crawler
Crawler

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptyThu 20 Oct 2011 - 13:29

Hi
If you are used to rooting and are using yearling, then for a head twice the size, I would just double the time that it takes you to root one head. However, if you are using Slumberland kid and a high guage needle, then it will take you considerably longer, as it will seem like forever to get a good covering of hair bigsmile
JO. XXX
Back to top Go down
http://www.josies-rosebuds.com
With Love Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
With Love Nursery

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptyThu 20 Oct 2011 - 16:58

Yes I believe I am using Slumberland blonde kid mohair using a 43 gauge needle. I started yesterday and got some of the front finished. Didnt realize it until I started rooting but the blonde is so fine and hard to see where I have rooted! So this is going to be fun! lol lol
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptyThu 20 Oct 2011 - 17:02

Blonde is a bit more forgiving also in that small plugs aren't that visible. Can't wait to see your rooted head!
Back to top Go down
sweetsherrie112
sweetsherrie112

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptySat 22 Oct 2011 - 19:41

It seems to take me forever no matter what I root with or the hair I use ... takes me forever lol... Sherrie
Back to top Go down
http://loveablehuggablereborns.webs.com
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptySat 22 Oct 2011 - 20:20

Emma and Tatiana both took me about 2 1/2-3 weeks. I root only 1-2 hours a time, so about 40 hours, maybe. It does depend what needle and mohair you use and just how fast you root. Sometimes it takes forever repositioning and such, but if you ge ta good rhythm going, you can move along quite quickly.
Back to top Go down
Lynknursery
Lynknursery

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptySat 22 Oct 2011 - 23:46

All I can say is good luck. I LOATHE rooting, hence why I normally send it out to get done. My normal girl had a wrist injury the apst couple of months and is only now getting back to being ready for me to send anything to her, but I needed my twins done for the doll show, well needless to say despite only being tiny 14" sculpts, I have painted the 2nd one, it took me 3 full on days to root the one head using alpace. I must admit though I love how soft and fine the alpaca is and how well it sits against the head even without wetting it down. Cannot get mohair to behave that way as easily.
Back to top Go down
http://lynkproducts.com.au
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptySun 23 Oct 2011 - 0:05

Yes, I intend to root my 14" with the alpaca also. I'm even going to cut it frightfully short for that preemie look.
Back to top Go down
shybushbaby
Crawler
Crawler

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? EmptySun 23 Oct 2011 - 20:03

With Love Nursery wrote:
Yes I believe I am using Slumberland blonde kid mohair using a 43 gauge needle. I started yesterday and got some of the front finished. Didnt realize it until I started rooting but the blonde is so fine and hard to see where I have rooted! So this is going to be fun! lol lol

I hate rooting with blonde as it is so hard to see. I normally spray as I go along. This darkens the hair, so you can see it better and makes it easier to handle too. wink

JO. XXX
Back to top Go down
http://www.josies-rosebuds.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how long does it take to root an older baby?   how long does it take to root an older baby? Empty

Back to top Go down

how long does it take to root an older baby?
Page 1 of 1