R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PamelaG
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
PamelaG

Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? EmptyFri 5 May 2017 - 8:16

Hi all!!! I have been away from reborning for 4 years or so and am just now wanting to get back at it. In going through all my kits and supplies, I came across about 20 (YES 22 actually!!!) and thought I would get backinto it with them before going to my LLE kits. In total, I have well over 200 (blush) kits!!!!! I need to get a move on and start making a dent it all those babies waiting to be brought to life, lol.

I had the instructions on how to fix the Secrist kits and think I need thinning medium and another product but just cannot remember what it is. I did contact Secrist back then, sent pictures as asked for proof they were indeed shiny and oily more than once to have them send me the fix but they never did. I don't want to toss them and starting up again want to work on the older, less expensive ones before I get back enough confidence to move on to the ones I really want to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am so excited to be back and look forward to hearing all the new that has happened since I have been away. Feels sooooooo good to be back to the forum too!!!

Happy babies everyone!!!!

Pamela
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? EmptyFri 5 May 2017 - 9:06

PamelaG wrote:
Hi all!!! I have been away from reborning for 4 years or so and am just now wanting to get back at it. In going through all my kits and supplies, I came across about 20 (YES 22 actually!!!) and thought I would get backinto it with them before going to my LLE kits. In total, I have well over 200 (blush) kits!!!!! I need to get a move on and start making a dent it all those babies waiting to be brought to life, lol.

I had the instructions on how to fix the Secrist kits and think I need thinning medium and another product but just cannot remember what it is. I did contact Secrist back then, sent pictures as asked for proof they were indeed shiny and oily more than once to have them send me the fix but they never did. I don't want to toss them and starting up again want to work on the older, less expensive ones before I get back enough confidence to move on to the ones I really want to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am so excited to be back and look forward to hearing all the new that has happened since I have been away. Feels sooooooo good to be back to the forum too!!!

Happy babies everyone!!!!

Pamela

I read awhile back that someone fixed their oily Secrist kit with Genesis Matt Heat-Set Varnish.  They said they mixed the Matt with Mona Lisa thinner to a creamy
consistency, applied a thin layer onto a cosmetic wedge and "pounced" a thin layer all over the vinyl, then heat-cure it. If it was still chalky to let cool completely flip pieces over and then heat-cure again. They recommend not to paint on it right away.  To watch and give time to see if the one coat sealed the vinyl so that you could paint on it. (the lady said she waited 3 months!

Maybe others here at REAL have come across this personally and have other answers for you!..  I have not tried the above method, so can only tell you what I had read in an article last year.  :)
  coffee?

Wish I had known that back when I just threw my kit away!!
Back to top Go down
PamelaG
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
PamelaG

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? EmptyFri 5 May 2017 - 9:33

Thanks so much for your input. I know that there were 2 products used to fix this problem and one was the matte varnish, just cannot remember the other one. I thought to contact Secrist, but since they got a new owner awhile back, I wasn't sure if they would have the info and other reborners might be the best route to go. They are all so eager to help out for the most part. Just don't want to let these kits go to waste and some of my daughters, granddaughters, and even a couple great grands have shown some interest in trying reborning and these would be great starters for them

Your time and suggestion has been much appreciated.

So very glad to be on my way back!!! Can't wait to start again!!

Thank you!

Pam
Back to top Go down
pia46
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
pia46

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? EmptySat 6 May 2017 - 2:18

Here is what Secrist said: http://www.secristdolls.com/reborn_blog/view/68014/how_to_clean_oily_vinyl

I cleaned my kit that was oily with Dawn and hot water. Then rubbed it down with alcohol. I used Matt Varnish thinned with Mona Lisa and pounced on very thin and baked. Then proceeded as usual and to my knowledge, this baby is still fine.
Back to top Go down
PamelaG
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
PamelaG

PostSubject: Oily Secrist Kit Fix   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? EmptySat 6 May 2017 - 7:52

Thank you very much!!!

Now I can start my love of reborning once again finally!!! Looking to try whatever new techniques and get back to making reborns.

I knew this wonderful forum would come through once again. What a wonderful group of people on this great forum!!!

Thanks again for your help and taking time to respond to mu query!!! thankyou!

I's back!!!!!! bigsmile

LOVE LOVE LOVE this site!! bigsmile dancingbaby canada
Back to top Go down
pia46
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
pia46

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? EmptySat 6 May 2017 - 10:29

You are welcome! Don't forget to participate by voting in all of the contests! This one is going now (until Tuesday night) http://www.realreborn.com/t23856-spring-contest-entries

There is an Artist of the Month contest that you can enter also. Jenny posts it on the 19th or 20th of each month!
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? EmptySat 6 May 2017 - 10:43

Welcome back!!!! happyforyou!

Looks like you got the info that you needed on the Secrist kits! I had 2 of those myself that I had reborned to look like my twins. One was NightyNight, that looked just just like Dominic and ugh....for the life of me I can't remember the name of the one that looked like Angie. I got so upset when they turned all oily that I ended up throwing them out. I was so upset. I hope you are able to fix yours with the matte varnish and mona lisa. bigsmile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?   Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how to fix the oily Secrist kits from several years back?
Page 1 of 1