R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking

Go down 
+3
Trish
Karen
SerenaM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SerenaM

Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking Empty
PostSubject: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012 - 15:33

Hi...! My name is Serena...

I'm getting a Reborn Starter Kit for Mother's Day...!! Yay..!! happyhappy

I'm 46 now, just recently became an empty-nester, and it's being very difficult on me, as one of my children moved long-distance away..... sad

And at one point in my life, my husband and I couldn't have children due to health complications, but the Lord helped us through those difficult times, And now....Now they've moved out..

So that's why for Mother's Day next month, I've decided to start a new hobby of creating Reborn Dolls;
I've found a Starter Kit on Ebay with a set of two dolls that I want to start out with..

I've been doing some research on the internet about starting this new hobby..

But to be honest, I'm a little nervous...Actually "terrified" is more like it; Of the process of having to actually "bake on the paint on the vinyl doll parts"...! eyeroll

I've tried looking for some instructional videos on the internet, but can't seem to find any...

Can one of you nice ladies "enlighten" me on the subject...? anyone

So again, Thank-You So Very Much for your support...! I'm excited about this new hobby, and it's killing me that I have to wait till Mother's Day to get it, but I'm sure that I will find lots of help, advice, and fun here in the Forums.... thankyou!

Sincerely;
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012 - 15:57

Hi Serena! :real: This is the right place to be for beginning this hobby. There are some video tutorials out there but the good ones are really expensive and the affordable ones only show about half the steps. Have you already purchased that starter set? If not, we might be able to help you find the things you need cheaper or just better. Lara holds classes right here and her beginning classes were geared more for the beginner. You can get these classes in the eBook version and of course we can help answer any questions you might have regarding the eBooks right here in this forum. I do suggest someone just starting out to get the strawberries and cream eBook as it has short video clips in it to help you see what Lara refers to in the eBook. You can purchase it at http://realreborn.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=20

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's already a lot of information that you will benefit from in the tutorials section and the eBook questions section and more!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
Trish
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Trish

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012 - 20:33

:real: :real: :real:
Back to top Go down
Lisabeth
Toddler
Toddler
Lisabeth

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012 - 23:57

Serena, don't be afraid. Reborns are not as fragile as you mighty think. :)
I agree with Karen. If you can take one of Lara's on line courses,
it would be like having your hand held through each step.
I think you would find it comforting and empowering.

Empty nest syndrome....not for long.

You are about to enter the world of reborns! Congratulations on your decision.

Lisa
Back to top Go down
debora jenkins
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
debora jenkins

PostSubject: baking babies   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 0:17

Hi I totally understand the fear of baking them to set the paint. I am still new at this 7 months and I was so scared to try it that i started out using air dry paints. I bought an ebook from Lara and started using the heat set paints and do not want to go back. If you set oven at 260 and bake for 8 minutes it will be ok. You need an oven thermometer to make sure your oven temp is correct, then line your pan or what ever you use with something. i use an old cookie sheet and line it with some of the quilt batting that I use in my quilts. These wonderful ladies here use different things so there is not necessarily a right and wrong thing to use. Just make sure the vinyl stays on the pan while putting it in and taking it out of the oven. I had a part fall off one time. I just painted it to look like a burn and am going to use it as a teaching aide. Feel free to ask any questions, Lord knows I have! Odds are some time it will happen and you just have to say oh well and see if there is a solution. Enjoy your new adventure. It is very hard when they move on and do not need us anymore. i had the empty nest syndrome bad but it helps to keep busy!
Back to top Go down
Lynknursery
Lynknursery

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 0:19

Welcome to REAL, at least you have found this palce before you make the mistakes a lot of us did in trying to learn this on our own over the internet with what info was available. Lara has helped us correct our ways.

I was worried about baking the vinyl too, but once I did my first bake and realsied the vinyl can withstand a lot more than we are fearing, your fears start to go. Theys till lurk but the more you bake the less you think about it and the more addicted you become.

As someone on another forum the other day said, this hobby is as addictive as crack cocaine, only more expensive when you start wanting every kit available. Not to mention all the photo props and accessories and clothing, it is never ending.

Welcome to our addiction.............. lol
Back to top Go down
http://lynkproducts.com.au
SerenaM

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 2:52

Karen wrote:
Hi Serena! :real: This is the right place to be for beginning this hobby. There are some video tutorials out there but the good ones are really expensive and the affordable ones only show about half the steps. Have you already purchased that starter set? If not, we might be able to help you find the things you need cheaper or just better. Lara holds classes right here and her beginning classes were geared more for the beginner. You can get these classes in the eBook version and of course we can help answer any questions you might have regarding the eBooks right here in this forum. I do suggest someone just starting out to get the strawberries and cream eBook as it has short video clips in it to help you see what Lara refers to in the eBook. You can purchase it at http://realreborn.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=20

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's already a lot of information that you will benefit from in the tutorials section and the eBook questions section and more!

Hello Karen....!!! Why "Thank-You' for your advice and welcome..!

You are so right about the tutorials out there....! There's many of them, but they are either expensive, or a couple I've found only go as far as putting stuff on a dish for the oven, but then it stops there... sad

You mention Lara's Classes; I looked in the "Classes Forum" and I can see that she has some classes coming up in the fall of this year;...I didn't see any for sooner than that, but I may need to take another look, as I'm new to these forums..

Do Lara's Classes start when you purchase an "EBook", or do you need to wait till a fall date for her Strawberries & Cream EBook...

I look forward to learning much, much more from here as I venture into a new world of reborns..!
Back to top Go down
SerenaM

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 2:57

LISABETH wrote:
Serena, don't be afraid. Reborns are not as fragile as you mighty think. :)
I agree with Karen. If you can take one of Lara's on line courses,
it would be like having your hand held through each step.
I think you would find it comforting and empowering.

Empty nest syndrome....not for long.

You are about to enter the world of reborns! Congratulations on your decision.

Lisa

Hello Elizabeth...! bigsmile

I'm glad to hear from you to "not worry so much" as reborns are not as fragile as they may seem...!
And yes.....! Empty Nest Syndrome..... :( It's very difficult to face; I cried and cried when they moved out, crybaby and I thought to myself...What on earth am I going to do now to not miss them so much...?

Well....I started out looking to purchase a couple of 36" toddler dolls to go with my home decor, and "Voila"...What did I run into...? "Reborns"...Now I Can't Wait to get into this hobby...!!!

I look forward to seeing and hearing and learning more here each and everytime I visit..
Many Thanks for the Welcome...!
Back to top Go down
SerenaM

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 3:03

debora jenkins wrote:
Hi I totally understand the fear of baking them to set the paint. I am still new at this 7 months and I was so scared to try it that i started out using air dry paints. I bought an ebook from Lara and started using the heat set paints and do not want to go back. If you set oven at 260 and bake for 8 minutes it will be ok. You need an oven thermometer to make sure your oven temp is correct, then line your pan or what ever you use with something. i use an old cookie sheet and line it with some of the quilt batting that I use in my quilts. These wonderful ladies here use different things so there is not necessarily a right and wrong thing to use. Just make sure the vinyl stays on the pan while putting it in and taking it out of the oven. I had a part fall off one time. I just painted it to look like a burn and am going to use it as a teaching aide. Feel free to ask any questions, Lord knows I have! Odds are some time it will happen and you just have to say oh well and see if there is a solution. Enjoy your new adventure. It is very hard when they move on and do not need us anymore. i had the empty nest syndrome bad but it helps to keep busy!

Hi Debora...! So happy to meet you here, and thanks for the welcome and awesome advice...!
I'm definately going to take your advice to heart, as it sounds so soothing to hear your experience, and it only makes me want to get on with it as soon as possible...! To be honest, I'd thought about purchasing "Air Dry Paints" as a way to avoid the baking part, but I really don't know what to expect until I actually "do it".....I also have a "heat gun" that I could also try....since I used to scrapbook and use embossing powders...so I do have a gun...but don't know if it would be a good idea to use it on a whole doll part(s), as I need to recieve my starter kit first, and then when I'm ready...try the baking..! I hope the tutorial will take me step-by-stem and hold my hand the whole way...! I would be using our general kitchen oven...I don't know how to use an oven thermometer though...do you just put it in the oven, or on top...? forgive me as I'm not knowing..lol So with Empty Nest Syndrome, I need to keep busy with my kids in mind, and embark on a whole new beautiful journey...!!
Back to top Go down
SerenaM

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 3:09

Lynknursery wrote:
Welcome to REAL, at least you have found this palce before you make the mistakes a lot of us did in trying to learn this on our own over the internet with what info was available. Lara has helped us correct our ways.

I was worried about baking the vinyl too, but once I did my first bake and realsied the vinyl can withstand a lot more than we are fearing, your fears start to go. Theys till lurk but the more you bake the less you think about it and the more addicted you become.

As someone on another forum the other day said, this hobby is as addictive as crack cocaine, only more expensive when you start wanting every kit available. Not to mention all the photo props and accessories and clothing, it is never ending.

Hello Lyn....! Many Thanks for responding and helping to calm my fear.... bigsmile Yes...Trying to learn over the internet is a real chore indeed, as there's so much out there, but you either have to pay for expensive tutorials that you have no idea whom your getting them from, or rely on the free ones that seem to skip steps... :P

And I'm afraid that you've just explained me exactly as I'm going to be going through; "I'm positive that this hobby is as extremely addictive as crack, only yes, more expensive..(a little worried about that part-but in good time, my hobby will make me all my money back and more)...Especially when I'm going to want to buy more kits..(hopefully I can find "bulk" purchases somewhere)..including accessories, clothing, bottles, pacifiers, diapers........................................................
Oh My...!!!
Back to top Go down
Lynknursery
Lynknursery

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 4:11

SerenaM wrote:
Lynknursery wrote:

Hello Lyn....! Many Thanks for responding and helping to calm my fear.... bigsmile Yes...Trying to learn over the internet is a real chore indeed, as there's so much out there, but you either have to pay for expensive tutorials that you have no idea whom your getting them from, or rely on the free ones that seem to skip steps... :P

And I'm afraid that you've just explained me exactly as I'm going to be going through; "I'm positive that this hobby is as extremely addictive as crack, only yes, more expensive..(a little worried about that part-but in good time, my hobby will make me all my money back and more)...Especially when I'm going to want to buy more kits..(hopefully I can find "bulk" purchases somewhere)..including accessories, clothing, bottles, pacifiers, diapers........................................................
Oh My...!!!

I do not want to burst your bubble before you have even begun, but if you are getting into this with the hope of making your money back then please stop now before it is too late. Many of us have gone through stages saying is it really worth it, economy is so bad, noone is buying and those who are are wanting them for less than the cost of the kits that it can get quite disheartening, but if you are getting in it to do for love and enjoyment, and if you make some money it is a bonus then step right on in along with the rest of us.

I don't want to sound harsh but I also don't want you to have hopes that could also get dashed. You might surprise us and be one of the master artists, but believe me not many make that high standard with adequate recognition of their worth.
Back to top Go down
http://lynkproducts.com.au
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 9:25

Hi Serena,
The link I gave you for the eBook is a class that already happened. We're about to start a new class in a couple of weeks for the Advanced Asian but heed the word advanced. You'd be much better off just purchasing the strawberries and cream eBook from the link I gave you to begin with. You will download it to your computer and you will read it and work at your own pace.

I agree with Lyn. This hobby is extremely expensive and not all of us get what we are worth. A lot of us struggle just to make back the money we've put into a doll. It usually takes years to build a following and that's what is needed to sell what you are worth.
Back to top Go down
Groovyday
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Groovyday

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012 - 18:01

happyhappy Hi Serena, this is the best forum for you to start your reborning hobby! Besides all the great advice you have already gotten, I suggest that a tutorial book by Stephanie Sullivan, The Art & Magic of Reborning II; is an excellent wealth of information about starting out reborning. Here is a link to the book,

http://www.hunnybunsrebornsupply.com/inc/sdetail/195/32084

The book takes you step by step through the whole process, discusses tools and paints and how to bake and has excellent photos all throughout on how to do every step. When I started reborning many years ago, I used Stephanie`s learning CDs to learn, it was the only thing out at that time. I know you will enjoy Lara`s eBooks and classes and wish you the best on getting started. I filled my empty nest with dolls years ago and it led to my hobby of reborning! :real: bigsmile happyhappy
Back to top Go down
debora jenkins
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
debora jenkins

PostSubject: empty nest syndrome   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyTue 24 Apr 2012 - 17:19

SerenaM wrote:
debora jenkins wrote:

Hi Debora...! So happy to meet you here, and thanks for the welcome and awesome advice...!
I'm definately going to take your advice to heart, as it sounds so soothing to hear your experience, and it only makes me want to get on with it as soon as possible...! To be honest, I'd thought about purchasing "Air Dry Paints" as a way to avoid the baking part, but I really don't know what to expect until I actually "do it".....I also have a "heat gun" that I could also try....since I used to scrapbook and use embossing powders...so I do have a gun...but don't know if it would be a good idea to use it on a whole doll part(s), as I need to recieve my starter kit first, and then when I'm ready...try the baking..! I hope the tutorial will take me step-by-stem and hold my hand the whole way...! I would be using our general kitchen oven...I don't know how to use an oven thermometer though...do you just put it in the oven, or on top...? forgive me as I'm not knowing..lol So with Empty Nest Syndrome, I need to keep busy with my kids in mind, and embark on a whole new beautiful journey...!!

I bought a thermometer that hangs from my self and I can see it thru the glass in my oven door. I also use my home oven to bake in. My husband had to go in our sons room and take everything down and move the bed to the spare room. I just could not do it. On the upside I got a room which was twice the size of the other room and a bay window to paint and sew in. Also I got a wonderful daughter in law and 7 years later a beautiful grand daughter. It is hard but it helped to know I had to plan and then redecorate both rooms to fit their new purpose. I just love decorating and almost anything crafts. I am here if you need a shoulder to cry on. I remember those days. I also went back to school part time. I have not used a heat gun so I can not help you there, heck I do not even own a hair dryer. I laid my cookie sheet on top of my quilting batting and cut it a bit wider and twice as long so I could double the batting on my sheet. I hope this helps if you need I will take a picture of what I use once I get the chance to go home from work. I work 48, 72 and sometimes 96 hour shifts. I do not get to go home during this time. God willing I will someday get a job where I can go home at night like normal people.
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking EmptyTue 24 Apr 2012 - 18:01

Selena, you'll need to adjust your oven to whatever it takes for the thermometer to read 265 degrees F. Some ovens run hot and some run cooler so that's why you want to use a thermometer to determine if you need to adjust it up or down or if it reads accurately. My kitchen oven is brand new so it reads correctly. Once you determine what setting it needs to be on to reach 265 degrees, then you bake the kit for 8 minutes.

I've just begun using my new infrared oven and I love it so far! Right now I'm making a 24 inch doll and I have to bake legs first then head and arms but its coming along great! So if you decide you like using the heat set paints, I do suggest getting one of these since its easier on the electric bill and doesn't heat up the whole room.

I do not suggest using a heat gun all over the vinyl. It can get too hot and melt the vinyl or make it shiny. Great for little touch ups but not for whole doll.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking   Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting a Reborn for Mother's Day-Afraid of Baking
Page 1 of 1