R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello all!

Go down 
+5
bearysweethearts
Poppy
Karen
Trish
Sharla_F
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sharla_F
Crawler
Crawler

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyMon 6 Feb 2012 - 19:59

I have been lurking on this board for a few hours and in some sense feel like I already know you all, so I suppose it's only polite that I tell you a little about me. My name is Sharla and I'm originally from Texas, but for the past 10 years I've been living in Europe, the last year and a half in Hamburg, Germany.

I recently stumbled onto the world of reborning by accident. I had just started learning how to crochet and was looking up free doll patterns online, and somehow I ended up on a reborn baby site. I had no idea what I was looking at. I saw a bunch of pictures of babies, and while cute, wasn't anything to do with crochet patterns for dolls so I left the site slightly puzzled as to where the dolls were. But my curiosity was piqued. What exactly is a reborn doll? "I'll continue my search for crochet doll patterns later," I said to myself, "First, I'll just do a Google search on the term reborn baby." WOW! These are DOLLS? They look so REAL!?! I was hooked.

I never really considered myself a doll person. I'd had a couple of dolls growing up, but I grew up with brothers so I felt like I had to silently appreciate them. I had to maintain my tomboy front to others. But these reborn babies just really captured my heart. I started looking at various nursery sites and checking out what was available on ebay. I basically told my husband I had to have one, using the excuse that it would make a great model for things I crocheted, but secretly, I just wanted to cuddle the daylights out of it. I found a beautifully reborn baby girl (Noah sculpt from Reva Shick) off ebay which I fought for up until the very last 60 seconds of the bidding, and I held my breath as I watched the auction end and wondered if I would win her. When I saw that I had won the auction, I almost broke my mouse in my haste to hit the "pay now" button lest the ebay gods somehow change their minds and deprive me of this little angel. The artist I bought from sent her out the very next day. I had her in my arms 2 days later.

In the 2-day interim I had told myself that the ebay pictures were probably representing her at her very best and not to be too disappointed if she did not live up to my expectations. But she was even more stunning in person than in the pictures. I've had her for weeks now and I find myself marvelling at her detail. I've been so thrilled with her that I've found myself snooping through ebay every day having a look at all the other babies. There are some amazingly detailed reborns out there.

Somewhere in the middle of looking at the reborn babies and deciding I really love XYZ sculpt but wish they had given it brown hair instead of blonde, or that I would really want this one if it wasn't quite so shiny, I realised that what I really wanted to do was learn how to reborn a doll myself.

I'm still in the planning and collecting stage. I've bought a kit and body, some heat set paints, a rooting tool with needles, some mohair, and a few other pieces. I've purchased most of my items off ebay and am waiting for them to be shipped now. I know I need more things, such as glues, thinners, thickeners, sponges, etc but I'm trying to pace myself and not get so carried away that I buy a lot of extras that I don't really need or can afford.

Whew, I really went on and on there, huh? Please forgive my verbosity. My poor German skills require that all of my conversations here be very basic as I try to get along with a 2-year-old's vocabulary, so I guess when I get a chance to speak, or in this case type in English, I get a bit carried away.

I really look forward to being a part of this community. Thanks for having me!

Back to top Go down
Trish
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Trish

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyMon 6 Feb 2012 - 20:13

:real:
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyMon 6 Feb 2012 - 20:18

Sharla, you are very fortunate that you came upon this forum when you did. Guidance is a perfect way to begin, unlike some of us older reborners(oh gosh, I've been doing it less than 3 years but this art changes so rapidly that what I learned starting out is now old news). I highly recommend one of Lara's eBooks to get you started. I suggest the strawberries and cream eBook to new reborners as it has little video clips showing you things that Lara talks about in the eBook. Right now the store is shut down, but we can find a way to work around that. wink

Oh and :real: :real: :real: :real: :real:
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyMon 6 Feb 2012 - 20:40

welcome it's great to meet you and learn a little about you - how exciting that you are starting out with this hobby, this forum is the perfect place to be for learning and meeting new friends whoohoo
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyMon 6 Feb 2012 - 21:12

Hi Sharla,Welcome To REAL welcome It was very nice to read and learn about you. As everyone has said this is a wonderful place to learn.Ask any questions you may have,the ladies here are very helpful. So glad you could join us! happyforyou! dancingelephant ..Kathy
Back to top Go down
Sharla_F
Crawler
Crawler

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyMon 6 Feb 2012 - 21:14

thankyou! all for the warm welcome!

*sheepish grin* Karen, I already emailed Lara and she's invoiced me through Paypal for the Strawberries and Cream and Just Born Ebooks. Don't tell my hubby!

Thank goodness he's too lazy to do internet banking hahaha
Back to top Go down
rebecca
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
rebecca

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyTue 7 Feb 2012 - 3:27

welcome lurk no more, glad you are with us now wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.beckyscradlecreations.net
Groovyday
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Groovyday

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyThu 9 Feb 2012 - 2:16

happyhappy Hi Sharla, so glad you are starting out here on RealReborn. You will love learning to reborn with Lara`s eBook and you can always ask questions and show off your work. Wow, it sounds like you won a great reborn on eBay! I would love to see a photo of her. The Noah sculpt is so precious too. :real: bigsmile
Back to top Go down
Sharla_F
Crawler
Crawler

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyFri 10 Feb 2012 - 14:04

Hi Groovyday and rebecca! Thanks for the welcome! I absolutely love, love, love the Noah sculpt. There is an amazing AA baby on ebay right now using the Noah sculpt that I think is absolutely stunning. There's no way I could afford it though! But I digress. Here is my little Hannah Elise from the Noah sculpt. She was reborn by a German artist. She's quite a heavy little baby at 6 lbs 12 oz but I LOVE to cuddle her.

Here she is without further adieu!

Hello all! PICT4655

There are loads of pictures of her at my photobucket but I haven't resized them so I'm only including the single picture of her here. Hope you enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Groovyday
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Groovyday

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptyFri 10 Feb 2012 - 15:15

lilangel Sharla, she is a little beauty, thanks for the picture! loveyou!
Back to top Go down
threads
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptySat 11 Feb 2012 - 5:06

Nice to meet you, you will love it on here, eveyrone is
so helpful and friendly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.threads-for-tiny-tots.webs.com
babesinbloom
Toddler
Toddler
babesinbloom

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! EmptySat 11 Feb 2012 - 10:58

:real: You are really going to like Laras classes I agree...They will help keep you warm...now is a good time to start...I bet you have lot's of snow like here in Wisconsin...ENJOY wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello all! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello all!   Hello all! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello all!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum :: General :: New Members-
Jump to: