R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??

Go down 
+2
Karen
chick1_26
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chick1_26
chick1_26

anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? Empty
PostSubject: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyFri 4 Mar 2011 - 16:50

i've looked and looked and haven't found one i think might be good.

i'm looking for one that has the potatoes and cheese, onions, bacon...etc. i guess the traditional style potato soup!
Back to top Go down
http://www.motherhensnursery.webs.com
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyFri 4 Mar 2011 - 19:39

Is this what you're looking for?

Dissolve 4 chicken bouillon cubes in 5 cups boiling water in dutch oven. Add 5 cups cubed potatoes, 1 cup chopped celery, 1 cup sliced carrots, 1 cup chopped onion. (I chop all of my vegetables with the steel blade of my food processor). Cook about 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 2 cans of creamed soup (2 celery, 2 chicken or 1 of each. I prefer creamed chicken. Add 1 pound of chopped Velveeta cheese, stir until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. May be served with crumbled bacon on top.

Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
joa44
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyFri 4 Mar 2011 - 23:33

heres me rendition;

I fry off some bacon till it releases its greese..........then I add chopped onions and saute till translucent....
then I add some COOKED cut up potatoes. Then I add milk or heavy cream............then I make a roux.......the same amount of butter and flour....say about 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour. melt butter then stir int he flour and cook for a couple of minutes,,,,to cook out the flour taste..slowly add to the hot milk mixture......It will thicken as it heats..........salt and pepper to taste...It is a little more work but there arent any preservatives and it is fresh............
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyFri 4 Mar 2011 - 23:43

joa44 wrote:
heres me rendition;

I fry off some bacon till it releases its greese..........then I add chopped onions and saute till translucent....
then I add some COOKED cut up potatoes. Then I add milk or heavy cream............then I make a roux.......the same amount of butter and flour....say about 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour. melt butter then stir int he flour and cook for a couple of minutes,,,,to cook out the flour taste..slowly add to the hot milk mixture......It will thicken as it heats..........salt and pepper to taste...It is a little more work but there arent any preservatives and it is fresh............

When do you add in the cheese?
Back to top Go down
joa44
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyFri 4 Mar 2011 - 23:46

OPPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! forgot the cheese..............me bad.......

I just put a dollop of sourcram then shredded cheddr and some more bacon on top of that............
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyFri 4 Mar 2011 - 23:49

mmmm sounds good. The recipe above is not mine. Just wanted to see if that's what she meant lol

I think I will give your recipe a try sometime. It seems nearly everything the family here wants consists of making a roux LOL Chicken pot pie, country fried steak...... lol
Back to top Go down
joa44
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySat 5 Mar 2011 - 0:54

oh what would we do without a roux.lol
well my butt might be smaller........ lol
Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySat 5 Mar 2011 - 0:59

I haven't heard of roux before? Is it like a gravy or sauce? That recipe sounds tasty
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySat 5 Mar 2011 - 1:27

Here ya go, Sarah, straight from wikipedia

Roux (pronounced /ˈruː/) is a cooked mixture of wheat flour and fat, traditionally clarified butter. It is the thickening agent of three of the mother sauces of classical French cooking: sauce béchamel, sauce velouté and sauce espagnole. Butter, vegetable oils, or lard are commonly used fats. It is used as a thickener for gravy, other sauces, soups and stews. It is typically made from equal parts of flour and fat by weight.[1] When used in Italian food, roux is traditionally equal parts of butter and flour. By contrast, Hungarian cuisine uses lard (in its rendered form) or - more recently - vegetable oil instead of butter for the preparation of roux (which is called rántás in Hungarian)
Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySat 5 Mar 2011 - 1:50

Ahhh thanks Karen, I can see now how it can add on the pounds! fatguy
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySat 5 Mar 2011 - 2:26

It definitely does do that, Sarah. And, unfortunately this house(other than me) loves the stuff so much they insist I make it. If I had my way, I'd eat nothing but fruits and vegetables, cottage cheese and a steak once in a great while. But, I don't get my way around here! lol
Back to top Go down
Pam in Florida
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Pam in Florida

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySat 5 Mar 2011 - 19:44

In New Orleans everything is made wit a roux!!!1 That is where I was born and raised by cajun parents so I have made and eaten many dishes that begin with a roux. Gumbo has to be my all time favorite....... Either chicken and smoked sausage or seafood gumbo with shrimp and lump crabmeat ummmmmmmmm good!
Back to top Go down
chick1_26
chick1_26

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySun 6 Mar 2011 - 1:14

Pam, i LOVE authentic chicken gumbo!!!! yum yum!

the recipe i used to have used boiled potatoes, i assume you boiled the potatoes as usual, then added the other ingredients, but don't have the recipe anymore, i've never made potato soup, but i've had it at restaurants and i love it. wanted to make some homemade.

Joan, yours does sound good! i might try that!

i will keep looking for a recipe and if i find one i'll post it here. it's not supposed to be hard to make, so i may just get in the kitchen one day and play around.... we've all had the crud for the last 2 weeks and i'm just now getting where i want to even go try to cook!
Back to top Go down
joa44
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySun 6 Mar 2011 - 1:27

That ia the best t hing to do,just jump in there and give it a try....and yes I boil my pots first.............
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptySun 6 Mar 2011 - 9:23

I only ever made potato soup, never had cheese in it so can't help you much except to say I would make my potato stock by boiling my potatoes and celery and onion then add a roux and more milk to it to thicken it up. Season to taste.
Back to top Go down
Patricia Diane
Toddler
Toddler
Patricia Diane

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyFri 11 Mar 2011 - 20:53

I like the O' CHARLEYS, POTATO SOUP they serve at their restuarant ! It is yummy and I make it from time to time. It is a thicker soup and cheesy tasting Yummy!

Here is the recipe as well as other soup recipes on the side, ENJOY! weeeeee!

http://www.food.com/recipe/ocharleys-loaded-potato-soup-18599
Back to top Go down
http://wildrose_dwhite@yahoo.com
chick1_26
chick1_26

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011 - 0:49

ooooh, that sounds good Patricia! thank you!

i think i have found the recipe i was looking for, gonna try it this week, gotta get more taters!! LOL
Back to top Go down
chick1_26
chick1_26

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? EmptyWed 16 Mar 2011 - 0:48

tried your recipe you posted tonite Patricia. it was good! i did substitute half of the half&half for just regular milk, but yummy! thanks again for posting it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??   anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe?? Empty

Back to top Go down

anyone have a good Potato and cheese soup recipe??
Page 1 of 1