R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hi everyone

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
newbie2
newbie2

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 2:38

Hello everyone,
Yes, I am a newbie!
My name is Sherry, and I'm from Illinois. I actually came across this artform from my step-daughter who ask for a reborn doll for Christmas this year, so of course I had never heard of reborn dolls so I did my research on eBay, and OH MY I fell in love immediately, I became addicted knew this was something I wanted to try and it looks like such a rewarding hobby. I find myself online for hours on end just searching the different websites (oh yea and driving hubby crazy) with excitement and staying up late hours just searching and watching videos/tutorials to learn the art. there are so many different sites that a person can become overwhelmed and I had no clue where to begin, then I found you all, I am very excited to have found your website/forum to help me on my journey into the reborn process, with that being said any advice is very much welcomed and appreciated as to where I need to first begin. Cannot wait to get to know some of you.

Thanks for allowing me to join your group of talented artists. thankyou! thankyou!
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Hi Sherry!!   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 4:12

Hi Sherry and Welcome to REAL!!  happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy

Hi everyone Welcom14

We are happy to have you here!!  I started out as an admirer just like you! Then I became a collector. I bought several, before
I found this forum! Now I can make them!     Here are most of my purchased reborn babies:

Hi everyone My_bab11

You can see a couple of reborns that I personally have made way down this page, below, in my sig

You first have to decide if you want to use heat-set or air dry paints.  I am not experienced on air dry but I am starting to learn how to use them. I do feel very
comfortable with Genesis heat-set paints. (I use a NuWave oven in a well-ventilated area to heat set my Genesis paints). With air dry paints you don't have to heat-set  them at all, unless you want to hurry along the process, then you blow it dry with your hair dryer!

It is such a rewarding hobby!! As you paint along it seems to "come to life" before your eyes!!!  I just love it!!

It is an expensive hobby to get started, but once you have your supplies, then you only have purchase your kit (and hair if you root) many have great success
with painted hair (not me- lol)!!

If you want to practice and learn, I would recommend inexpensive kit to start, which you can find here:
http://www.bountifulbaby.com/    Starting with a sleeping baby is easiest (you wont have to deal with inserting eyes and doing top lashes (either rooted or glued on). Sleeping eyelashes are very easy to do and great for beginners! When you purchase your kit, you should also buy the cloth body that is recommended for that kit. (On the site I gave you for inexpensive kits, if you read the whole description, it will tell you what body to order.)  :)

I started slowly building up my painting supplies and only purchased the colors i needed for each e-book or e-class!  I did start with a GOOD set of brushes.
https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9431  This is a basic set with the descriptions. This is an extended set once you decide reborning is for you!
https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=brush&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=0   You might be able to find some
at your local craft store, but those are the ones I bought in 2012 and they are still going strong after 4 years!

If you decide to go with Genesis paints, you can purchase the "Petite" jars (half the size of the regular jars) and save lots of money (you use very little paint)!

Let me/us know if you need anything at all!  There are lots of friendly moderators and experienced artists/members here!! Don't be overwhelmed, I just wanted to
give you some places to get started!

P.S. Here is a link that teaches you how to add photos in your post.  It is very simple to use as you don't need a photo hosting site!  You just select photos
from your own computer! I love it!

http://www.realreborn.com/t9245-using-r-e-a-l-s-photo-hosting-function?highlight=add+photo

Hugssss and Welcome again Sherry!!

happyhappy 

Some supplies for reborning:

Hi everyone Mona_l11  Ordorless Thinner Michaels craft store

Hi everyone Brushe11   Good Brushes  DollsbySandie.com

Hi everyone Small_11   Ceramic palette to mix paints in

http://store.macphersoncrafts.com/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=190121842621190&Store_id=236&page_id=23&Item_ID=9472

Hi everyone Wedges11 Cosmetic Wedges - no lotions, etc at Wahlgreens, Riteaid, etc.

Hi everyone Color_11    Color wheel to see what colors u need for the vinyl kit you purchased (in case it needs different color washes to bring it to neutral color before you begin reborning.)

Hi everyone 4_oz_f11   4 oz plastic flip top bottle to hold thinner
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Plastic-Cylinder-Bottles-Spout/dp/B00HY85J7K/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1482055759&sr=1-2&keywords=plastic+bottle+4+oz.+flip+top

Hi everyone Sea_sp11  Sea Sponge

Hi everyone Horse_10  Horse tack sponges with big holes

Hi everyone Genesi12 MacPhersonscrafts.com

http://store.macphersoncrafts.com/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=9867810647269867&Store_id=236&page_id=23&Item_ID=9461

another picture of reborn kit placement in the NuWave: (in this photo they just layered wash cloths on the bottom - it doesn't really matter as nothing
is going to catch fire, as you are only doing 8-9 minutes at a time at low temps in the oven - I have been using mine for years!) I wouldn't use colored cloths just plain white. :)

Hi everyone Baby_i10

Also important when painting is lighting.  If you have good eyes, then all you need is a nice window where your work (my folding table is right in front of a window) I don't have good eyes lol so I also use an OTT light for fine details like fingernails, toenails, eyebrows.  It shows your work in true natural lighting, so you can see the tiniest details. If you have good eyes you can just get an Ott Light.  I have an Ott light with a magnifier - especially when I am rooting hair.  

This is a simple ott light that runs on batteries if you don't have an outlet where you paint.  
Hi everyone Ott_ba10

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/ottlite-reg-led-task-lamp/3263858?skuId=43760749&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_lighting_&product_id=43760749&adpos=1o3&creative=43742656069&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiAkO7CBRDeqJ_ahuiPrtEBEiQAbYupJYc32QyrSzmx5KnlbiREdfWhjTNMh_TXRyLHF9zA1qMaAmeo8P8HAQ

Here is an electric one with no magnifier:

Hi everyone Ott_la10

Here is the one I use (ott light electric with drop down magnifier):

Hi everyone Ott_li10

http://www.ebay.com/p/ottlite-13w-magnifier-task-lamp-otl13magwt-white-low-glare-swivel-base-adjustabl/1922534276?iid=122259132757&ul_noapp=true,true&chn=ps&lpid=82,82

Alsooooooo (lol I keep adding things)

You need something - can be anything, people  use so many different methods, but as you are painting your 2 arms 2 legs and head, you need something to
put them on so that they don't touch anything as you work on each piece (you cant lay them down as you work).  If your hubby is carpenter-ish, all you need
is a block of wood and cut a dowel into 5 pieces (same height would be nice) and drill 5 holes.  (you don't even have to glue them in, just deep enough to
push the dowels in so they don't fall over.  Some people use baby bottle racks - anything you want!  Here is what I use, but my girlfriends hubby made mine.

Hi everyone Minimu10

Last edited by Jenny In NH on Fri 1 Mar 2019 - 3:30; edited 22 times in total
Back to top Go down
newbie2
newbie2

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 4:34

Hi Jenny,

Thank you so much for answering my post. I have went to the eBook section and purchased my first book, getting ready to dive in. Thank you so much for the advice. yes i realize it can be costly but your finished product would be so rewarding. so excited. Your babies are beautiful. AMAZING WORK!!
I have a toaster oven, would it work just as well or should I purchase a Nu-wave?
I might have my hubby on board with me, make it a family affair. lol

Last edited by newbie2 on Sun 18 Dec 2016 - 5:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
newbie2
newbie2

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 4:58

How to I get access to my eBook sad , I thought it would be in my email, but nothing is in there. sad sad
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 4:59

newbie2 wrote:
Hi Jenny,

Thank you so much for answering my post. I have went to the eBook section and purchased my first book, getting ready to dive in. Thank you so much for the advice. yes i realize it can be costly but your finished product would be so rewarding. so excited.
I have a toaster oven, would it work just as well or should I purchase a Nu-wave?
I might have my hubby on board with me, make it a family affair. lol

No a toaster oven would melt your baby!!  affraid  affraid

This is what I use. You need to buy one that comes with an extender ring (or purchase an extender ring!)  I have two NuWaves. One I just bought on-line, the other I got for $40 on craigs list!!
Hi everyone Nuwave14
I just use old worn bath towels. Put your kit in, then set the time and temp. I use level 6 for 9 minutes. Be sure to remove the racks first. Just keep the very bottom pan that you will line with white cloth, towel etc - you wont need the racks ever for reborning.  I cut circles out of old cotton towels to place in the bottom of my NuWave oven. Then place your kit pieces on the towel, so that they don't touch each other and don't touch the sides of the oven. (could cause damage to your kit).  I recommend using an oven thermometer inside your nuwave, to make sure my settings don't go over the 260 degrees.  Once you get used to using your nuwave you will be able to judge your settings with ease. After heat-curing your paint, always let let your vinyl COOL before painting another layer (mine is usually cool after 10 minutes). If you have completed your painting,  and have applied a sealer/varnish and you are instructed to do a second bake, its important to let it cool after the first bake, then do the second bake.  (two bakes back-to-back might compromise your vinyl - over heat it).

Last edited by Jenny In NH on Wed 21 Dec 2016 - 9:17; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 5:00

newbie2 wrote:
How to I get access to my eBook sad , I thought it would be in my email, but nothing is in there. sad sad

Lara has to manually send it to you in your email. She will get it out to you ASAP. Which one did you order?
Back to top Go down
newbie2
newbie2

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 5:17

OMG I don't want to melt my baby, crybaby. I purchased the Peaches & Cream for Beginners eBook. thought it would be a good start. i saw a kit that gives you everything on eBay its a deluxe kit.

Your babies are beautiful, AMAZING WORK!! (not sure you saw that on my last post I edited it)
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 5:21

newbie2 wrote:
OMG I don't want to melt my baby, crybaby. I purchased the Peaches & Cream for Beginners eBook. thought it would be a good start. i saw a kit that gives you everything on eBay its a deluxe kit.

Your babies are beautiful, AMAZING WORK!! (not sure you saw that on my last post I edited it)

no melting the babies, not allowed!!! hehehe  

and thanks, I love reborning!!

I am heading off to bed (3:31 am here) , but before I go, I will message Lara, and let her know that you are ready to rock n roll and need your ebook!!

Its the weeee hours of Sunday, so im sure she will see it soon as she feeds her kiddos breakfast!!!

Hang it there... you will have it soon, I promise!!

dolly hugssssssss
Jenny

Last edited by Jenny In NH on Sun 18 Dec 2016 - 21:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 5:56

newbie2 wrote:

Hi Sherry.. lol yes, I am still up trying to go to bed, but I just saw what you said about ebay,.  I wouldn't recommend buying that deluxe kit just yet.. might get a lot of things that you wont ever use, paint colors that you dont need for your first ebook, or find that you don't like things. (like eyes and hair that wont match your baby) and possibly an expensive kit where you might want to start with a bountiful baby kit (like $17.00 or 29.00). If you read through, they say things like "of their choice".  I think after you make your first baby
you will get a feel for what you like and don't like. You can start off finding the perfect NuWave oven for newborning - everyone loves them! happyhappy

Don't forget to refresh your page often in case someone updates a post they made to you (back in the beginning I have added more info for you) :)

ok ok.. im really going to bed now before hubby wakes up!! LOL

welcome to my addiction!!!

laffin

lol

Last edited by Jenny In NH on Tue 27 Dec 2016 - 13:47; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 15:27

Hi, Welcome to REAL! welcome Glad you could join us! Looks like Jenny has you covered, Look around if you need anything else just let us know. happyforyou! hamsterdance dancingelephant Kathy
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySun 18 Dec 2016 - 20:23

Hello Sherry and welcome to REAL! :real:

You ladies certainly were up late last night!!!!! lol

I do email the ebooks manually, so I do ask to give me 24 hours, as I may be at my job, as I work retail at the mall (yuk, at Christmastime) and I'm pretty busy with my 3 kids a lot too. We had their Christmas dance recital today where they preformed the Nutcracker, but I did email your book to you as soon as I got home!

Let me know if you need anything else! There is lots of support here on the forum...just ask!!! bigsmile
Back to top Go down
newbie2
newbie2

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 21:48

Thanks Lara, i got my eBook, worthy whoohoo getting ready to jump in an start reading, think im going to start this after the holidays, give me time budget wise to save some more money. Looking forward to this. Thanks everyone for the nice welcome!!

Sherry
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016 - 21:54

Hi Sherry!!  happyhappy

Glad you have your ebook now Sherry!!! You must be so excited!!! Now you will know which Genesis Heat-set paints you will need to make your
beautiful peaches and cream babies!!!   whoohoo

You can get the little jars (petite jars) here:  (you might have to scroll around once you are there)

https://www.dollsbysandie.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6076

Here is another place to purchase full sized Genesis Paints -

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/genesis-heat-set-artist-oil-colors  
(they make the full 1 OZ. jars. and also the mediums for sealing - if you choose to. Some
times you might want a matt finish to keep your vinyl from going shiny, or to add a textured skin look. )

Thinning Medium, Glazing Gel, Thick Medium, Air Dry Gloss Varnish, :
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/genesis-heat-set-artist-oil-color-mediums

Hi everyone Genesi13

For all caucasian babies FLESH 08 is ALWAYS used, so that is one you wont mind getting the full oz size jar.  Any dark blue colors you need, a petite jar will last you a really long time (I have the same blue jar i bought 4 years ago!)

Talk soon and Merry Christmas!!!

happyhappy happyhappy  happyhappy  happyhappy  happyhappy

Last edited by Jenny In NH on Fri 26 May 2017 - 14:41; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
newbie2
newbie2

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptyThu 22 Dec 2016 - 19:52

Thank you so much Jen. You have been so helpful. I am getting excited, going to give it shot after the holidays. will definitely let you know.
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptyThu 22 Dec 2016 - 23:10

newbie2 wrote:
Thank you so much Jen. You have been so helpful. I am getting excited, going to give it shot after the holidays. will definitely let you know.

You are very welcome!!!!   :)

Don't forget to go vote on our latest baby poll !!

Here is the link:

http://www.realreborn.com/t23672-aotm-january-2017-artist-of-the-month-contest

P.S. Don't forget to "refresh" your page often while you are here to get up-to-date messages!  Also you can click on "today's active topics" located
down near the bottom right of the Home page. :)

PPS - don't forget to look UP next to where it says "log out"... you will see .. YOUR Messages.. click on that.. I sent you a message there lol lol
Back to top Go down
newbie2
newbie2

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptyFri 23 Dec 2016 - 23:57

Thanks Jenny,
You have helped me so much to get me started. I have made a list of everything you have suggested. I'm slowly picking up stuff as a go along. LOL thankyou!

Hugs,
Sherry and many many thanks wink
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySat 24 Dec 2016 - 1:00

newbie2 wrote:
Thanks Jenny,
You have helped me so much to  get me started. I have made a list of everything you have suggested. I'm slowly picking up stuff as a go along. LOL thankyou!

Hugs,

You are very very very welcome Sherry!! Your enthusiasm makes me excited about re-borning all over again!! thankyou!
(soon, after you make your peaches and cream baby, you will be looking at your new little creation and start talking to it.. LOL.  I walk by mine and say.. "ohhhhhh you are too cute"!! affraid

dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby dancingbaby
Back to top Go down
nightowlnursery
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
nightowlnursery

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptySat 24 Dec 2016 - 3:46

Hi Sherry! Welcome to REAL. When I started out I bought a complete kit on Bountiful Baby. This will give you everything you need to make one whole baby and there will be paint left over. Of course, you will need other colors too. Jenny has given you lots of information of where to find things and if you ever get stuck just ask for help. There are lots of wonderful and helpful ladies here and there is no drama unlike some other forums. I would be glad to help in any way I can. When you have a question it always helps to post a picture. That way we can see what you are looking at and better know how to help you. You will have to use a photo hosting site. (Like photobucket) it's not too hard if you haven't done it before. You make an account, it's free, and upload your pictures to the site. It will give you 3 different links for the picture once it is uploaded and you want to use the one that says image. I think that might be the most difficult thing you have to do, and it's not hard at all. Excited to see pics when you finish your first baby. You will love it here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nightowlnursery.com
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone EmptyFri 30 Dec 2016 - 13:42

newbie2 wrote:
Thanks Jenny,
You have helped me so much to  get me started. I have made a list of everything you have suggested. I'm slowly picking up stuff as a go along. LOL thankyou!

Hugs,

http://hunnybunsrebornsupply.com/genesis-basics-doll-sample-set/   Found this link for a "sampler" set of genesis. Don't know if you need it or not for your class.

The colors are listed here is a quote from the
Description from the link above:

"I've selected the most popular Doll Making Genesis Colors for you.  You get 10 full petite size jars plus 3 mediums.  There is enough paint in this set to paint up to 10 dolls or so;  your mileage may vary.  

Included:

Flesh 08, Flesh 07, Gen. Yellow, Pyrrole Red 02, Pyrrole Red 05, Pthalo Blue 04, Phthalo Green 06, Dioxazine Purple 04, Burnt Umber & Magenta 07 plus Thinning Medium, Glazing Gel and Matte Medium."

Hi everyone Genesi14

wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone   Hi everyone Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum :: General :: New Members-
Jump to: