R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Beginner Basics List Q?

Go down 
+2
Lara
izzy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
izzy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
izzy

Beginner Basics List Q? Empty
PostSubject: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptySat 29 Jun 2013 - 23:54

For the newbies, will there be a complete list for this class? I think most of us could figure it out, but there are some people who have barely heard of reborns, and they might not know what else to get. All I see on the list is the paint colors so far . . . what about brushes, sponges, etc? IDK 

Also, will we cover rooting? I thought I heard somewhere that it would be covered . . . in that case we need to get mohair and needles, right? IDK IDK 

anyone 
Back to top Go down
http://izzyooaks.blogspot.com
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyMon 1 Jul 2013 - 9:38

I will post a complete list of supplies soon.bigsmile 
Back to top Go down
jennyk
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyFri 19 Jul 2013 - 23:27

I'll watch for the list. I saw that Hunnybuns has a paint set and the brushes I can figure out, but what kit do I need?
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptySat 20 Jul 2013 - 9:20

You can use any kit that you want.bigsmile 
Back to top Go down
jennyk
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptySun 21 Jul 2013 - 9:44

Thank you Lara! I am going to go dig through my stash and see who would work well. I am planning to try out my oven with test parts so I know if it is going to work before the class starts. Its really a turkey roaster and some artists have said they use them and it works great and others say it does not work well at all, so I thought I better do some testing first.
Back to top Go down
SweetLittleCherryBlooms
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
SweetLittleCherryBlooms

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyWed 24 Jul 2013 - 22:42

Jenny, if you find the roaster doesn't do it, you might want to consider a NuWave oven. Several women on here have one and love it, and they recommended it to me. I got one and it has worked perfectly so far. It holds the temperature great and it's pretty easy to use. :)
Back to top Go down
jennyk
Steady Walker
Steady Walker

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 19:30

EndlessCuddlesNursery wrote:
Jenny, if you find the roaster doesn't do it, you might want to consider a NuWave oven. Several women on here have one and love it, and they recommended it to me. I got one and it has worked perfectly so far. It holds the temperature great and it's pretty easy to use. :)

I have heard a lot of artists use Nuwaves, I just hated to spend the money until I am sure I even like Genesis. I may not be able to make the switch not only because I am used to air dry, but because I get migraines and sometimes odors set it off. I may not be able to deal with thinners. I have been advised to use turpenoid or something like that, hopefully that is ok.
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptySun 28 Jul 2013 - 20:33

I should invest in a halogen oven, and use it for the class too, so you all can see if there are any difference.
Back to top Go down
SweetLittleCherryBlooms
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
SweetLittleCherryBlooms

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 10:15

jennyk wrote:

I have heard a lot of artists use Nuwaves, I just hated to spend the money until I am sure I even like Genesis.  I may not be able to make the switch not only because I am used to air dry, but because I get migraines and sometimes odors set it off.  I may not be able to deal with thinners.  I have been advised to use turpenoid or something like that, hopefully that is ok.

I've only done the air dry so far, too. But I got the NuWave so I can bake the 1st step vinyl sealer on. And now that I'm going to take the Beginner class it will come in handy for that too. I was able to get my NuWave at a lower price than the online price, at our Sears. Also, Best Buy online might have it for less. :)
Back to top Go down
SweetLittleCherryBlooms
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
SweetLittleCherryBlooms

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013 - 10:18

Lara wrote:
I should invest in a halogen oven, and use it for the class too, so you all can see if there are any difference.

I've heard good things about halogen ovens, too. There is a reborn artist on Youtube who uses one. Can't remember name right now.
Back to top Go down
LilyOfTheValley
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby
LilyOfTheValley

PostSubject: NuWave Oven   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyThu 5 Sep 2013 - 17:18

"jennyk wrote:

I have heard a lot of artists use Nuwaves, I just hated to spend the money until I am sure I even like Genesis.  I may not be able to make the switch not only because I am used to air dry, but because I get migraines and sometimes odors set it off.  I may not be able to deal with thinners.  I have been advised to use turpenoid or something like that, hopefully that is ok.

I've only done the air dry so far, too. But I got the NuWave so I can bake the 1st step vinyl sealer on. And now that I'm going to take the Beginner class it will come in handy for that too. I was able to get my NuWave at a lower price than the online price, at our Sears. Also, Best Buy online might have it for less. :)

I was about to purchase a NuWave oven to bake my doll parts, and then read that they have many problems with the lids cracking, and the cost per lid is $40.00 CAN. Apparently the customer service is not helpful as well. I am posting this for anyone who is thinking about purchasing one of these ovens...do your homework on this one. Lisa
Back to top Go down
charflynn
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby
charflynn

PostSubject: Nuwave oven   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyThu 5 Sep 2013 - 20:21

Yes Lisa, you are correct. I have had my oven for less than a year so still under warranty and just found a crack in the dome. So called Hearthware to see what they say. Will not honor the warranty without receipt since I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond and I can't find the receipt. A new dome cost 25.00 + 13.69 shipping to California. 1 yr. warranty on new dome. They also have a power dome now that is warranty for 3 yrs. 49.95 + 13.69 shipping to California. Love my Nuwave oven, so am going to replace the dome.
Back to top Go down
SweetLittleCherryBlooms
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
SweetLittleCherryBlooms

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyFri 6 Sep 2013 - 11:57

Lisa Dinel wrote:
"jennyk wrote:

I was about to purchase a NuWave oven to bake my doll parts, and then read that they have many problems with the lids cracking, and the cost per lid is $40.00 CAN. Apparently the customer service is not helpful as well. I am posting this for anyone who is thinking about purchasing one of these ovens...do your homework on this one. Lisa

Before I purchased mine I read about the cracking lids, too. But most of the reviews I saw were from 2010 and 2011, so hopefully that problem has been fixed. What led me to finally decide to get one was that several ladies on here have had one for several years without problems. Also, after trying several regular convection ovens, none of them would hold a constant heat like the NuWave oven. So far I have been pleased with mine. It's been very easy to use.
Back to top Go down
SweetLittleCherryBlooms
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
SweetLittleCherryBlooms

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyFri 6 Sep 2013 - 12:02

I should add that my theory on why the lids are cracking is a defect in the design combined with the high heat. I think when the lid is lifted off while hot, the plastic is weaker and over time this stresses the plastic, making it eventually susceptible to breakage. I try to be conscious of lifting the lid off by holding the top straight up and then over, and set it flat on the counter on a towel or something soft. The way they have the lid "designed" to sit at an angle on that holding device pushes on the lid at an uneven angle and probably stresses the plastic while its hot. The part of the plastic where it joins with the black heating unit/lid is a bit thinner and when placed on a slant while hot probably stresses the plastic in that area more. So I just lay it flat after removing it so that it has better, even support. Hopefully the plastic will last a bit longer in those weaker areas. Just a thought I've had while using it.
Back to top Go down
LilyOfTheValley
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby
LilyOfTheValley

PostSubject: Thanks for your input everyone   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptyFri 6 Sep 2013 - 21:28

I think I will hold off one buying one for now, and use the old oven method. Thanks for all of your input :)
Back to top Go down
SweetLittleCherryBlooms
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
SweetLittleCherryBlooms

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 22:29

Lisa Dinel wrote:
I think I will hold off one buying one for now, and use the old oven method.  Thanks for all of your input :)
Please let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Basics List Q?   Beginner Basics List Q? Empty

Back to top Go down

Beginner Basics List Q?
Page 1 of 1