R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hey from Oklahoma!

Go down 
+4
Karen
Groovyday
Trish
beckysmalley
8 posters
AuthorMessage
beckysmalley

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyTue 6 Mar 2012 - 0:18

My name is Becky, and I'm really new at Reborning. In fact, I haven't even finished my first one yet!

Actually, I don't think I could even be called a Reborn artist as I don't plan on painting and putting a kit together. I'm a sculptor and I don't think that I'll ever sell completed dolls. I'm not great at painting, but we shall see once I finish my first doll.

I have three planned. One for each of my children. I started about a year ago while I was pregnant with my third child because my middle one was less than a year and a half old, and I thought that if I had something that LOOKED real, and treated it like it was real, she wouldn't have as much trouble adjusting when the real baby came along. I couldn't find any baby dolls that fit what I was looking for at stores like Walmart or Target, and when I went on line, I saw these Reborn dolls that cost $300+! I thought "well, I could do that" since I've been working with Sculpey for about 13 years already. Haha! Little did I know...

Well, my baby was born and my daughter had no trouble loving and accepting him, no issues of jealousy at all (I mean, really. She's NEVER been jealous of him!), and so there was no need for me to worry. But I still want to take this on as a hobby, and maybe a profession.

I just don't know what to do with the doll head once it's made. I mean, I want it to be a complete doll with hair and skin tone and a body, but I'm limited by what I can do with clay. I've talked it over with my hubby, and he's agreed that once I finally have something done, I can have it sent off and made into a vinyl kit. But, where do I sent my sculpt? I can't find any info on how to do that! It's like a huge secret. What do I do with the sculpt once it's baked? I can't root it because the clay will chip. When I've tried rooting in soft clay, it turned out all bumpy and misshapen. I used liquid sculpey, and that actually turned out pretty all right, but then, when I paint it, I would have to leave the scalp clay colored because of the hair. No matter what key words I type into google, no matter how many How To videos I watch on YouTube, it's all still a mystery. That's why I haven't finished anything in all this time. When I finally get it done, I want it done right.
Back to top Go down
Trish
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Trish

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyTue 6 Mar 2012 - 0:53

Sorry I am no help at all, I only collect the babies............. lol

But I am sure one of the beautiful and knowlegable ladies on here will be able to help you.

But :real: and I hope it all works for you..... wave
Back to top Go down
Groovyday
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Groovyday

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyThu 8 Mar 2012 - 13:01

happyhappy Hi Becky, so glad you joined RealReborn. You should post a photo of your sculpted head, maybe in the Cozy Lounge section and strike up a conversation there about how to proceed. I am only into the painting of the reborns and don`t know any of the answers to your questions. In any case, welcome, hope you like it here! welcome bigsmile
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyThu 8 Mar 2012 - 13:14

Hi Becky,
There are some dealers who will take on a new sculptor to make kits but those are far and few between. Google JoyDoll in China. That's one manufacturer I know of.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
bearysweethearts

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyThu 8 Mar 2012 - 14:12

Hi ,Welcome to REAL! welcome Glad you could join us bigsmile Kathy
Back to top Go down
Michelle73
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyFri 9 Mar 2012 - 19:12

Hi and welcome to REAL :real: Can't wait to see some of your work and get to know you. I am not sure about the sculpting questions as I only reborn them but I am sure a lot of ladies here will be of some help on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.roseecheeksrebornnursery.net
Connied
Crawler
Crawler
Connied

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Welcome Kathy   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyMon 21 May 2012 - 23:56

Hi Kathy..... welcome to the group. I am a fairly new reborner myself.... Only started a year ago in April. I envy you for being able to sculpt.... I hope you will be able to find an avenue to get a mold done. Try talking with some of the other sculptors to see if they can help you along any.
I am still learning.... always ready for a new tutorial...
Connie
Back to top Go down
http://kitzeesnursery.com
Dianne1227
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Dianne1227

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! EmptyTue 22 May 2012 - 0:07

:real: :real: :real: :real:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hey from Oklahoma! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey from Oklahoma!   Hey from Oklahoma! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey from Oklahoma!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum :: General :: New Members-
Jump to: