R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Re: Painting and other reborning supplies

Go down 
+8
gerry
trixyy2k
Heavenlyblissnursery
PamelaG
Lara
RoseBlossomAngels
jlingo
BrooklynsGram
12 posters
AuthorMessage
BrooklynsGram
Toddler
Toddler

Re: Painting and other reborning supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyMon 9 Nov 2009 - 23:04

Has anyone ever used a convection oven for the baking? Everything I read said never to use your house oven so my husband bought me a convection,as that is what I read. Any hints.? They are supposed to be more accurate with temp. Thanks
Pris
Back to top Go down
jlingo
Toddler
Toddler
jlingo

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009 - 7:15

I haven't; but on the bountiful baby website they said to buy one to use so that you do not use your regular oven. :!:

Jill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mothersperfectbaby.com
BrooklynsGram
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re;Convection Oven   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009 - 9:32

Thanks thats where I got ot from and they eally stress it, so does another site but I can'r remember which one. I guess I'll see.
Thanks for the input. Hugs
Pris :cheers:
I'm starting to be a little nervous I think I'm the only one in this class thats never done a baby yet!!!! :pale:
Back to top Go down
RoseBlossomAngels
Toddler
Toddler
RoseBlossomAngels

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009 - 12:01

I bought a convection oven to use for my babies and I LOVE it!! It heats up faster and I don't have to have it running constantly like I did my regular oven.

I bought a Hamilton Beach convection/rotisserie oven which is large enough to fit 2-12" pizzas in( around $90.00 at K-mart or Wal-mart)....it comes with it's own trays and it has adjustable shelves in it, so that you can fit the larger sculpts in it. Some of the smaller ovens aren't tall enough for the large heads to stand up in. I use an oven thermometer in it to check the temp. and I found that the gauge on the front isn't real accurate so I had to turn the temp down to get it to the temp I wanted. So always use an oven thermometer!!!
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009 - 12:15

I've heard really great things about them. It's nice because you can put them outside, so you don't have to deal with the fumes.
Back to top Go down
BrooklynsGram
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009 - 13:16

Thanks for the replies. Mine is Hamilton also large. Got it at Kohls on sale at 99. It also has rotis and moveable trays. I do have a new therm I bought. Thanks ladies. :D
Back to top Go down
PamelaG
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
PamelaG

PostSubject: RE:CONVECTION OVENS   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyTue 10 Nov 2009 - 15:54

[i]I, too have heard great things about them, and hope to get one for Christmas, lol. Nice that you can put them outside if you choose, so less fumes.
Back to top Go down
Heavenlyblissnursery
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyFri 13 Nov 2009 - 1:05

How many people do use their "own kitchen oven". I thought it was the majority...maybe I am wrong though. I know I went out and bought a craft oven last year thinking it would work....not! The head would hardly fit into it and the fumes were horrible.
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyFri 13 Nov 2009 - 9:57

I'm one of those people that still uses my oven. Once the kids are out and I have an extra bedroom, I will convert the nursery and get a convention oven. There is just no room here....5 kids, no space! I do put the fan vent on when baby is in there, and that helps air out any fumes. If it's warm enough, I'll open the kitchen window.
Probably not the best scenario, but really no choice at this point.
Back to top Go down
trixyy2k
Toddler
Toddler
trixyy2k

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyFri 13 Nov 2009 - 12:55

I use my kitchen oven, never bothered me. No problem with fumes.

Marci
Back to top Go down
http://www.frillyfrillz.webs.com
gerry
Toddler
Toddler
gerry

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyFri 13 Nov 2009 - 15:08

I am lucky enough to have two full-size ovens in my kitchen; I used to do a lot of catering and wedding cakes, but not now because I just don't have time! I use one for my cooking and the other for bakin' babies! My dream is to convert our back garage into a reborning-sewing room/pool house...SOMEDAY! Right now I have my painting table and baby #*%$! (as my hubby refers to it) in my son's old room. It's a mess though and hubby would love to have it out of the house altogether. So...he needs to get busy and convert the garage, doesn't he?
Back to top Go down
jlingo
Toddler
Toddler
jlingo

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyFri 13 Nov 2009 - 15:12

I also use my kitchen oven. My husband came in one evening as I was removing baby parts from the oven. He took one look and told me he did not want that for supper.

My regular oven is regular/convection; however, I was scared to use it on the convection setting. So I just use it as a regular oven.

I really have not had an issue with fumes.

Jill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mothersperfectbaby.com
Lyndies*Lovies
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Lyndies*Lovies

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptySat 14 Nov 2009 - 0:41

One of my early posts on the Bountiful Baby Forum was about buying a GE convection oven from Wal*mart and Angiesmiles responded and I know she bought one and may still actually use it.

I used my real regular (convection) oven in my guest cottage and since I started using it for babies I've never used it for food since. Before I use it for food again I will clean it at 700 degrees and cease to worry. And why would that be?

I eat in restaurants without knowing more than a little tiny bit of info-like how it smells when I go in. I sleep in hotels on sheets that I believe are washed and I don't worry about the mattresses and pillows. Nobody washes the mattresses and few wash the pillows!!! The point is I risk my life based on the germs in the bed. I don't stay in bad smelling hotel rooms - I do notice and walk away from 'off smells'. I think 700 degrees will take care of the issue - and I do open the windows and wait a day before reusing.

The only 'bad smell' from the oven I got was right after I started reborning and I believe that was because I had just used the 'automatic cleaning mechanism' and all the burnt food smells had not dissipated.

I have tested my oven thermometer several different ways and it is ACCURATE. That is probably the most important bit of information you can have.

I do remember that the reborner on the 'stupid idiot' site, said that if it smelled bad, you had your oven too hot. I think that meant you were getting odors from the vinyl that was overheating - not just the paints - but it could be both.

If it smells bad or I get a headache - I air it out (and maybe take an aspirin).

Last edited by Lyndies*Lovies on Sat 14 Nov 2009 - 0:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add convection)
Back to top Go down
Second Star
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Second Star

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptySat 14 Nov 2009 - 11:50

I am one that uses my kitchen oven and have for three years now. Never had a problem. I have a conure bird right in the same area and it has never bothered him either. If you know anything about birds you know that are really sensitive to odors. On good days the french doors are opened but on bad days I just turn on the exhaust fan over head. Perhaps one day I will have a room of my own for reborning but even though two of the children are out on their own they won't give up their bedrooms to my babies!!!! Maybe if they marry!!!!! A mother can hope!
Back to top Go down
live4trauma
Toddler
Toddler
live4trauma

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptySat 14 Nov 2009 - 20:43

I have a gas stove and was concerned with odorless thinner and gas flames. I bought a hamilton beach convection oven to use and love it. I put it outside so I don't have to worry about fumes or running the AC due to the heat. I do recommend an oven temperature due to the fact most ovens lose calibration after about a year. The oven tends to run higher than the set temperature.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptySat 14 Nov 2009 - 21:16

I too use my kitchen oven, it is a gas oven. I have used the oven since I started using heat set paints, least 3 years....we have never had any problems with it. I try and do it when the kids are in school, otherwise it is late at night and I will air things out or use the exhaust fan.
Back to top Go down
BrooklynsGram
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptySat 14 Nov 2009 - 23:50

Thats a great comment for birds, because of anything in the world they will just drop dead literally from toxic fumes. Great to know in case I don't like convection. I worked for a veterinarian for 36 yrs. so we did know a little about birds, I also have owned a few in my life. Thanks for adding that. Makes me feel better.
Hugs
Pris :cheers:
Back to top Go down
Heavenlyblissnursery
Toddler
Toddler

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptySun 29 Nov 2009 - 23:12

Is there a temermmeter better than the other?
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptySun 29 Nov 2009 - 23:27

I have this one:
http://www.bountifulbaby.us/inventory/images/taylorclassic.jpg
Back to top Go down
grmeemaw
grmeemaw

PostSubject: Oven   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies EmptyTue 1 Dec 2009 - 1:05

I use a confection oven and I love it. Have not had any problems at all with it. Temp on outside is not accurate though so I use a thermometer. Looking forward to the new class.
Back to top Go down
http://hummingbirdnestnursery.weebly.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Painting and other reborning supplies   Re: Painting and other reborning supplies Empty

Back to top Go down

Re: Painting and other reborning supplies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum :: General :: Class Information-
Jump to: