R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just wondering if

Go down 
+2
SharonR
Moonie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Moonie
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptySun 4 Mar 2018 - 19:10

I am very new to reborning. I was wondering what is every ones favorite sculptor? and or sculpt?  Is there a difference in quality of vinyl or are they all made with the same type of vinyl. Do the more expensive sculpts have better detail than the stock reborn dolls that have no sculptor.
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptyMon 5 Mar 2018 - 13:43

Moonie wrote:
I am very new to reborning. I was wondering what is every ones favorite sculptor? and or sculpt?  Is there a difference in quality of vinyl or are they all made with the same type of vinyl. Do the more expensive sculpts have better detail than the stock reborn dolls that have no sculptor.

Omgosh! I have so many artists I like! Laura Eagles, Joanna Kazmierczak, Cassie Brace, Natiali Blick, Maria Winters, Eva Wakolbinger, Elisa Marx, Bonnie Brown, Alicia Toner, Gundrun Legler, Karola Wegerich, Linda Murray, Andrea Arcello, Emily Jameson, Adrie Stoete so many more - I guess not just ONE favorite artist - lol -!! I also love many of the "realborns" from Bountiful baby (scans of real babies made into vinyl kits).

I think the more expensive kits that are originally sculpted by hand, by artists, have wonderful details! The Realborns are coming along though!!

I have never had a problem with any of my kits so far. Back in the day, people used to think that Bountiful Baby kits were not as good as other kits, but I never
had a problem - vinyl colors used to be an issue back in the day (too grey). Perhaps other reborners might have had a different experience and will let you know!

Not sure what kits you are referring to as "stock"? But I know that the market is flooded with stolen counterfeit knock-off kits, mostly from China, they have purchased an original artists sculpt, then made a mould and mass-produced them and sell them cheap on ebay and every where else. They do not state an artists name because they have stolen the true artists work and sell it without a sculpt name or artist because they cant- not sure of the quality-or safety of their vinyl. Matter of principle though - I wont buy them.

There are so many artists to choose from, I think its all a matter of personal preference - crying, smiling, sleeping, somber ----- so many choices!!! Candy store!! LOL I guess if I could ONLY choose one, it would be Legler!

happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy
Back to top Go down
SharonR
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptyMon 5 Mar 2018 - 16:39

My top three artists are Jorja Pigott, Laura Lee Eagles, and Donna RuBert. I started with Donna's dolls when I was making porcelain dolls about 30 years ago and was so excited to see she'd made the switch to vinyl!

I think these days the quality of the vinyl is pretty standard regardless of the price point of the kit. What you typically find in the kits that cost more is that you'll get a body and sometimes a belly plate with it. When you consider the cost of those two items it makes the price of the actual kit pretty much in line with Bountiful Baby's kits.

As far as the details go, I think that's more dependent on the individual sculptor rather than the price of the kit. I do believe that in the last few years all the sculptors have improved the details of their kits. There are some artists that love having hands and feet with a bazillion wrinkles, while I actually prefer not so many.

To me what it comes down to is what the expression is on the baby/toddler's face. When I first started I only used Bountiful Baby kits because they are easier to afford. I always said that until I ran out of BB kits I wanted to make, why pay more? lol Then met Laura Lee at the ROSE show and fell in love with her work ... and Jorja Pigott created Keiko and it was love at first sight!

Now I pick and chose solely based on what appeals to me!
Back to top Go down
http://sharonskidsandkritters.blogspot.com/
Moonie
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptyThu 8 Mar 2018 - 20:58

Jenny In NH wrote:
Moonie wrote:

Omgosh! I have so many artists I like!  Laura Eagles, Joanna Kazmierczak, Cassie Brace, Natiali Blick, Maria Winters, Eva Wakolbinger, Elisa Marx, Bonnie Brown, Alicia Toner, Gundrun Legler, Karola Wegerich, Linda Murray, Andrea Arcello, Emily Jameson, Adrie Stoete so many more - I guess not just ONE favorite artist - lol -!! I also love many of the "realborns" from Bountiful baby (scans of real babies made into vinyl kits).

I think the more expensive kits that are originally sculpted by hand,  by artists,  have wonderful details! The Realborns are coming along though!!

I have never had a problem with any of my kits so far.  Back in the day, people used to think that Bountiful Baby kits were not as good as other kits, but I never
had a problem - vinyl colors used to be an issue back in the day (too grey).  Perhaps other reborners might have had a different experience and will let you know!

Not sure what kits you are referring to as "stock"?  But I know that the market is flooded with stolen counterfeit  knock-off kits, mostly from China, they have purchased an original artists sculpt, then made a mould and mass-produced them and sell them cheap on ebay and every where else. They do not state an artists name because they have stolen the true artists work and sell it without a sculpt name or artist because they cant- not sure of the quality-or safety of their vinyl. Matter of principle though - I wont buy them.

There are so many artists to choose from, I think its all a matter of personal preference -  crying, smiling, sleeping, somber ----- so many choices!!! Candy store!! LOL    I guess if I could ONLY choose one, it would be Legler!

happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy

You answered every question I had with dolls.  Thank you so very much for your response.
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptySun 11 Mar 2018 - 1:21

very welcome! happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy happyhappy
Back to top Go down
SweetLittleCherryBlooms
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
SweetLittleCherryBlooms

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptyTue 20 Mar 2018 - 16:06

Yes, the ones from China that are stolen copies should be avoided. And who knows if their vinyl is safe? These knock-offs are hurting real reborn artists and this lovely art that we all love so much. If people stop buying the stolen works from China, they will realize it's not lucrative for them.

My top favorite sculptors are Bonnie Brown, Laura Lee Eagles, and Evelina Wosnjuk. I also like several of Bountiful Baby's Realborns.
Back to top Go down
Bornannew
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
Bornannew

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptySun 25 Mar 2018 - 17:07

The first thing I notice is the face of course... I prefer not too Dolly.
I do look for interesting expressions.  Hands and feet too!

Love Sleepers , and I too have my Fave sculptors..

Laura Lee Eagles
Natalie Blick
Cassie Brace
Olga Auer
Joanna K.
Alicia Toner

BB's Realborns and Cindy Musgrove creates some  cuties for them.

Yep... I'm usually Kit Poor!!! lol
Back to top Go down
threads
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if EmptyThu 5 Apr 2018 - 4:35

Tjis is a quote from the link

Not sure what kits you are referring to as "stock"? But I know that the market is flooded with stolen counterfeit knock-off kits, mostly from China, they have purchased an original artists sculpt, then made a mould and mass-produced them and sell them cheap on ebay and every where else. They do not state an artists name because they have stolen the true artists work and sell it without a sculpt name or artist because they cant- not sure of the quality-or safety of their vinyl. Matter of principle though - I wont buy them.

My reply.
I confess I have painted a few kits from Chine, the vinyl is as good as others.   As you  state "They have purchased an original artists sculpt" and therefore it belong to them and its perfectlly fine for them to use it to produce more kits.   I remember Ellie Knoops telling me she sold her kit Luca to China, and later she sculpted new limbs and sells these kits herself.    

These kits are made of fine viny without any nasties in it, otherwise, it would not pass our strict tests to get into the UK.       I ask myself, if China can sell them for well less  half the price the artists do, surely the artists are over charging, just a thought

My favourite kits come from Laura Eagles and Bonny Brown
Back to top Go down
http://www.threads-for-tiny-tots.webs.com
Sponsored content

Just wondering if Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wondering if   Just wondering if Empty

Back to top Go down

Just wondering if
Page 1 of 1