R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Darkening lighter hair

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Winx

Darkening lighter hair Empty
PostSubject: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 20:50

Is there a way to do this? The colour of my baby's hair is lighter than I thought it would be, is there any method to darken it? I'm not dyeing it incase it gets on the vinyl and ruins my doll but are there any safer alternatives?
Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 1:02

Winx wrote:
Is there a way to do this? The colour of my baby's hair is lighter than I thought it would be, is there any method to darken it? I'm not dyeing it incase it gets on the vinyl and ruins my doll but are there any safer alternatives?

I wouldn't risk it personally, most likely trying to darken it will stain, ruin your baby. The word darken, scared me. (but then im a big chicken - lol)

So sorry the color wasn't was you had hoped for though.  Maybe it will grown on you over time (keepin my fingers crossed for you).

If anyone else knows of a way, I am sure they will post a message for you here.

BOL!!

dancingbaby dancingbaby
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 16:00

I have tried those washable rinses .Just because I had some on hand  being a hairdresser. LOL.. They can add a hint of color or take a little of your red out.  I would not recommend using those if you are selling or giving the doll away. ONLY if you are keeping the doll for yourself because it will lightly wash out over time.
Your supply house sells them. They can help you with your shade for the toning or adding some color. Just rinse over the hair trying not to rub into the scalp/head.  Try not to get any or very much on the head, just your hair. Not knowing your type of vinyl they can grab color.  I didn't put mine up next to the hairline. I used It to take some red highlights out that I didn't like. . It is just a slight difference in tones. Maybe one shade.

You can also use these color rinses on your white fairy hair to  bring out different shades. Just keep in mind  they wash out over time. Don't get on the vinyl!
Back to top Go down
pia46
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
pia46

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyTue 17 Jan 2017 - 1:08

I would not dye it! It will probably ruin your baby. I saw on another thread that you want to straighten it too?
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyTue 17 Jan 2017 - 14:48

No, you would not use any permanent or semi permanent dye on the doll after rooting! Dying the mohair has to be done before any rooting.
Back to top Go down
SharonR
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyTue 17 Jan 2017 - 20:54

The only other thing I could think of/suggest ... would be if you're able to do any rooting of your own, you could add a darker color to the existing color.

Some of the things you'd probably need to know is what the hair was originally sealed with. If it was modge podge or a different water soluble glue you can use warm water to soften it and wipe some of it out. Then root the darker color and reseal with more glue. I've actually done this twice to babies of mine and liked the results a lot!

If you don't know what the hair is sealed with you might be able to root through the glue and then reseal the new hair you add.

I always use 2-3 different shades when I'm rooting because it makes it look the most natural, in my opinion ... lol Hope you can figure out a solution!
Back to top Go down
http://sharonskidsandkritters.blogspot.com/
Winx

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyThu 19 Jan 2017 - 10:28

I have managed to straighten the hair, I used the lowest two setting on the straighteners,brushed the hair up off the vinyl and carefully straightened it out. Looks much better now as its smoothed it down. I haven't coloured it and I'm not going to, nor can I re-root it as I don't know anything about it. I have got a couple of copic markers, I'm thinking of running one over a bristle brush then brushing the doll hair with it to sort of stain it darker. I don't want to risk the residue marking everything or wiping back off the mohair though, so I don't know whether to try that out or not.
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyThu 19 Jan 2017 - 10:59

I don't think I would try markers . Markers can get on your fingers and sometimes is hard to get off. I can't even imagine getting marker on your vinyl . Could you post a picture so we can see what your concerns are?
Back to top Go down
Winx

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyFri 20 Jan 2017 - 9:29

There's no point in posting a picture as there's nothing actually wrong with the hair and it's been done well, it's just that I'm not keen on the colour and would like it to have been darker than it is. Thinking out loud here, I am currently waiting on a baby off another artist, can one artist re-do the work of another? That is, if I asked them, would they be able to darken or re-root it for me?
Back to top Go down
pia46
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
pia46

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair EmptyFri 20 Jan 2017 - 12:01

I would suggest that you pay original artist to reroot the hair with a mohair color and texture that you were wishing she had? The original reborn artist would know what glue was used inside the head and the likelihood of being able to remove it without damage to the vinyl. I personally would worry that the initial rooting holes would be unsightly and hard to hide when re-rooting. Hope you saw lots of photos from lots of angles in artificial and natural lighting so that baby number 2 is not disappointing for you. We would love for you to share photos of your babies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darkening lighter hair   Darkening lighter hair Empty

Back to top Go down

Darkening lighter hair
Page 1 of 1