R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Armatures in larger dolls

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
HeavenlyCherubsNursery
Toddler
Toddler
HeavenlyCherubsNursery

Armatures in larger dolls Empty
PostSubject: Armatures in larger dolls   Armatures in larger dolls EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016 - 15:06

A week or so ago Lara answered a post about using an armature in a larger body.  There was something about wrapping the armature with poly pellet bags but I'm not familiar with those.  Is it something you buy or just bags you fill with pellets?  From the photo it just looked like something different. IDK

Thanks in advance,  Susan
Back to top Go down
http://www.heavenlycherubsnursery.com/
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: Armatures in larger dolls   Armatures in larger dolls EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016 - 17:16

Hi, I could be wrong. I didn't see the post. She may have meant to just put your polly pellets in your hose or what ever you use to hold your glass beads and just place them around the armature.
Back to top Go down
HeavenlyCherubsNursery
Toddler
Toddler
HeavenlyCherubsNursery

PostSubject: Re: Armatures in larger dolls   Armatures in larger dolls EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016 - 17:24

That's what I thought, but I wasn't quite sure. I've never used an armature before, it's a little scary oho

Thanks,  Susan
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: Armatures in larger dolls   Armatures in larger dolls EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016 - 17:57

This is how I did my armatures.I first put the armature in the cloth body, Then take each leg and put the armature in .Then fill up to the knee with your poly pellets or glass beads depending on what weight you want. I use a combination of both. Then add your polyfil the rest of the way up. You may need to use a stick to push it down and around.  Then do the arms the same way filling glass beads or poly pellets up to the elbow then stuffing with polyfil.. Remember, don't use straight glass beads all the way up she will be to heavy.  Hope that helps.bigsmile
Back to top Go down
SharonR
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Armatures in larger dolls   Armatures in larger dolls EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016 - 18:08

Also if you're using the plastic pop-bead sort of armature you need to do something to close the bottom of each foot and hand. After having to take a doll apart to redo it now I use a small piece of muslin tied with heavy buttonhole thread around the ends. If you don't do this, the glass beads will mysteriously migrate into the armature itself and play havoc with the rest of your doll.

If you're using wire or electrical cable/cord wrap the ends with some batting and tie it on with the heavy duty thread. That way the inside of your vinyl is protected. When I was making porcelain dolls and using wire armatures I would always wrap the whole thing in strips of batting, but that was to keep the wire from clinking against the porcelain. Might still be a nice way to finish off the inside of the doll though.

wink
Back to top Go down
http://sharonskidsandkritters.blogspot.com/
HeavenlyCherubsNursery
Toddler
Toddler
HeavenlyCherubsNursery

PostSubject: Re: Armatures in larger dolls   Armatures in larger dolls EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016 - 18:13

Thanks ladies!thankyou!   You both gave some good advice.  I need all the help I can get, I'm scared I'm gonna mess it up : (

Thanks again,  Susan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armatures in larger dolls   Armatures in larger dolls Empty

Back to top Go down

Armatures in larger dolls
Page 1 of 1