R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist

Go down 
+4
Trish
Michelle73
Karen
SharonLeeBee
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SharonLeeBee
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist Empty
PostSubject: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyMon 28 Jan 2013 - 20:56

Hi! I joined this site at someone's recommendation to get tips and provide my tips!

Anyone have tips on removing shine from a doll other than using Genesis Heat Set Matte Varnish or Secrist Superior Shine Remover? I have not had luck with either of these products, no matter how I apply it!

Is there another product I should know about that is easier to use and thinner in consistency, that dries completely matte?

My reborns get better with each new kit (I've done about 22 so far) but sometimes the fingers and big toe gets shiny from the oven.

Also, what color blue do you use for veins? Genesis Vein Blue seems to come out "blackish" and I end up having to add a lot of white to it.

SharonLeeBee
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyMon 28 Jan 2013 - 23:56

Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum.

You can try using Plaid Tile and Glass medium. Its an air dry matte medium and quite a few people have had great results with it. If parts of your kit is getting shiny from the oven, the temperature is too high or you are baking too long.
Genesis doesn't have a vein blue color, so you are probably referring to the premixed color from Bountiful Baby. I make my own vein color with ultramarine blue and green 06.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
Michelle73
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013 - 10:55

Yes the plaid glass and tile medium is good but I have found by using it that you need to apply it very thin .....thin, thin, thin is my motto in this art bigsmile
Back to top Go down
http://www.roseecheeksrebornnursery.net
Michelle73
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013 - 10:56

Oh and welcome to REAL wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.roseecheeksrebornnursery.net
Trish
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Trish

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013 - 20:19

welcome :real:
Back to top Go down
Lisa G
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013 - 15:42

A little dab will do ya! Not too much!

Also you can try a gentle buff with a Mr Eraser...
Back to top Go down
http://www.lifelikebabydollshq.com/
Kimmy
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby
Kimmy

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyWed 30 Jan 2013 - 18:06

:real: welcome
Back to top Go down
lastingmemoriesnursery
Toddler
Toddler
lastingmemoriesnursery

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyThu 31 Jan 2013 - 1:02

Hi and Welcome to REAL Like Karen said a few things could be happening with the shiney babies. are you using a thermometer. If not I urge you to purchase one even if your oven is brand new. Calibrations of ovens are always off. for instance I have to turn my knob only to 225 to achieve 250 on the thermometer.

I always use the matte varnish. the way that I use it is I take a tongue depresser (big ice cream stick lol) and take a dab out and whip it up good so it is soft and workable. I then put a dab on the tongue depresser and smear it onto a sponge (cosmetic wedge) I scrape it gently off and apply this way. This way you are not getting so much texture but you are getting the nice matte finish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastingmemoriesrebornnursery.net
SharonLeeBee
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

PostSubject: Time & Temp   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyThu 31 Jan 2013 - 2:02

I bake my vinyl at 265 deg. for 8 minutes and am getting shiny parts. Shall I drop it to 250 for 7 minutes? If the paint doesn't seep in should I bake it a second time? Thank you, SharonLeeBee
Back to top Go down
bearysweethearts

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist EmptyThu 7 Feb 2013 - 20:12

Welcome to REAL!! welcome :real: Sometimes mine gets a little shiny from baking way to many times in the oven. Kathy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist   I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist Empty

Back to top Go down

I am a Relatively New Reborn Artist
Page 1 of 1