R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need Help with what to Buy

Go down 
+5
babydoll4u
azbaby
Karen
Deirdre
Cindy Joy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cindy Joy
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby
Cindy Joy

Need Help with what to Buy Empty
PostSubject: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 0:01

I am getting ready to place my first order through Bountiful Baby... Not sure I have have everything or if there is something that I don't need... Would you be so kind as to look over my order & let me know what you think???
anyone

5404 SECONDS Blinkin (Girl), by Donna RuBert
2365 Newborn Deep Blue Sky -- 18mm Bountiful Baby Eyes
1485 Wispy Eyelashes, Upper and Lower, Light Brown -- W
1730 BASIC Genesis Ultramarine Blue - 1/2 oz. jar
2331 SMALL Color #4: Lip/Blush/Nail, Bountiful Baby Cus
1734 BASIC Genesis Burnt Umber - 1/2 oz. jar
1457 E6000 Multi-Purpose Adhesive Glue - Medium
1737 Genesis Glazing Gel - 1/2 oz. jar
1739 Genesis Phthalo Green 06 - 1/2 oz. jar
460 Hobby Knife 16-piece set
461 Super Hair Cutting and Styling Comb Razor
7344 Genesis Yellow Ochre - 1/2 oz. jar
2344 SMALL Genesis THINNING Medium
3027 Color #2: Baby Skin - 2 oz. - Bountiful Baby Custo
1667 Four Brush Set for painting with Genesis
2469 Genesis Empty Mixing Jar - Size SMALL
5634 1/4 oz Light Brown Curve #BD0006SP "NuBorn Mohair"
4475 Five Pre-Cut 36 Gauge REGULAR Felting Needles
1637 Color #5: Eyelid Purple 1/2 Oz: Bountiful Baby Cus
5598 Micro-Root(R) Hair Rooting TOOL ONLY

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

coffee?
Back to top Go down
http://csjoyphotography.weebly.com
Deirdre
Toddler
Toddler
Deirdre

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 1:09

Cindy did you get one of Lara's E-books.... I know she has a Supplies Needed Page

You're Going to also need...

Ceramic Palette
Cosmetic wedges
Linseed oil
Sea Sponge, Household Sponge
Q-tips
Genesis Flesh Colors

Back to top Go down
http://morningstarrebornnursery.com/
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 1:24

Cindy, did you get my Begin 2 Reborn eBook? It has the list of items to buy and from where, such as things better off getting at Bountiful Baby versus things better off getting at Dollar Tree, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
azbaby
Toddler
Toddler
azbaby

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 1:25

I would order your mohair elsewhere. You won't be disappointed in it, even though it's a little bit more expensive mohair. (Slumberland or Angela's Reborn Nursery)

I would also get Flesh 08 and Flesh 07, Mona Lisa paint thinner(they have this at Michaels, use a 40% coupon), red 05.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
http://www.sweetbeginningsreborndolls.com
Cindy Joy
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby
Cindy Joy

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 9:40

Yes, I did get both books!!!! Haven't had much time yet to actually read them though... I JUST received Lara's & have just downloaded it... I will check the websites for the mohair & go visit Michaels... Thank you all so very much for all of your help!!!!
Back to top Go down
babydoll4u
Toddler
Toddler
babydoll4u

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 11:04

you are missing a few paint colours and I would suggest some prismacolour pencils for painting eyebrows

I sent you a pm a while back ..if you need any advice you cn call me....being so new I remember all the things I wished I had got the first time around and had to keep reordering lol
Back to top Go down
Joy Franklin
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 13:55

Hi
I am a bit of a rebel here when it comes to supplies. I see that on your list you have some things that I do not think you need or at least don't need to have so large. And....your rooting needles are WAY TOO big! You will be SO frustrated and disappointed if you get those. Now, here is what I think we all need as basics:

Genesis Heat Set Paints:
ultramarine blue.....little pot....you will never use much at a time and the little size will last you years.
Phthalo green 6......little pot
Flesh 08.......if you can afford a big jar then get it....you will use this all the time
Flesh 07...... the same as above
BB Eyelid color......smallest available....I am still on my first little jar after 2 or 3 years and prob. 20 babies
BB Lip Nail and Blush....this is the "cool" color........a medium to large jar....you will use this frequently
Pyrolle Red 2.......this is a MUST and get medium to large jar
yellow ochre........tiny jar
burnt umber.......tiny jar
mars black.....tiny jar
titanium white......tiny jar ..... the only time I have used it is to make a lighter blue color , but necessary to have.
genesis yellow........tiny jar......
earth mint..........I like it better than mixing my own green wash
The pyrolle red 2 made a HUGE difference in the colors of my mottling and blushing. When I first used it I was shocked at much nicer the baby looked. It is truly a MUST HAVE.

Thinning medium........ounce jar.......I use a lot of this product
Thick Medium......small jar
Glazing gel.......small jar
Matte Varnish.......ounce or larger jar
I buy the gel, thinning medium and matte varnish from Jasmine's Cottage on Ebay. The sell the 4 ounce size for about 10 to 15 dollars depending on product and have free shipping. It is a heck of a good deal.

SUPPLIES:

Brushes:
1/2 inch Maxine's Mop
1/4 inch Maxine's Mop
3/4 or 1 inch Maxine's Mop for blending
the tiniest script liner you can find.......like 20/00 or 18......the smallest you can find
#2 filbert
#1 round
I use a very soft bristle sort of floppy brush for brushing on colors for washes or dark skinned babies. I don't know what it is called, but it is the kid kind of brush for water color etc.
I also ordered a nail set of brushes from China for about 5 to 15 total including shipping. Lara also has a set. They are great for odd places and for creases and eyebrows. You get like 10 or 12 brushes in a set.

SPONGES:

Sea sponges in large, medium and small sizes. I don't mean in actual size but in size of the patterns on the sponges. You will use these for mottling and for faux capillary beds, and for blushing. So you need a little variety. Household sponges cut up are also useful.

Cosmetic sponges: Secrist sells some that are very very strong. This works well for the mottling sponges but I don't like them for regular pouncing. The ones from the drug store or walmart work just as well for pouncing and for mottling. It is just that I find the Secrist ones don't get floppy and fall apart easily.

ROOTING:

I use a 43 1 barb needle. I would not suggest that a first time rooter start with a smallneedle like that, but on the other hand neither would I suggest any needle larger than a 40g. So.....get 40g crowns or 40g 1barb. Seriously do not use anything larger. It will give you big holes in the head even when you heat the head with a rice sock. It is less frustrating and more cost effective to start out with a size that will help you learn and not destroy your vinyl in the process.
I get my needles from Lara here on REAL, Stephanie Sullivan at Hunnybuns Nursery, or from Gina Smith at Nonie's Nursery. BB does not carry the kind and size I use.

RICE SOCKS......make your self and couple. I use a regular sock that has no mate and I fill it with about 3 hands of reg cheap white rice, tie the top of the sock in a knot. I leave a lot of the sock empty so that it can be used in any size head. When I go to heat the sock I just wet my hands a lot and rub the sock until it feels damp, then put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. I see steam and I then can take it out and put it in the head. I then stuff a dry dishcloth or two or cloth diaper in the hole to keep the rice sock in position and the heat in the head. When It starts to get cool I just re heat it.

OVEN THERMOMETER........a MUST

PALLETS:
Whatever you can use that you can afford. PLBD recommends individual baking dishes like you make custard in......unless you already own them they can be too expensive to buy for this purpose.
I have a ceramic one that is a Petal Shape like Lara uses. I got it on sale for about 8 dollars from Sandi's Doll House. I have also used a ceramic one that I got from Dolls so Real that is square and lets you mix gradations of color. I paid 6.99 for it but the shipping was like 4 or 5 dollars.
The easiest to use are old saucers with the indentation for the cup in the middle. FINALLY a use for all those odd saucers that came with our dishes. And, after almost 50 years of marriage and 9 kids we have gone thru a LOT of dish sets! NO one drinks coffee or tea here. So, I have tons of saucers. Love to use them when doing a wash.

CLEANERS AND THINNERS

I use 91% alcohol to clean my brushes and work area. It will also strip the paint from the kit a little gentler than acetone. You buy it at the drug store or grocery. But make sure it is 91%.

I use Sunnyside Odorless Paint Thinner from the local ACO hardware store. It is 4.98 for a quart. It is truly odorless, does a great job, and is readily available. I think Mona Lisa and Masterpiece odorless thinners have an awful smell. JMO

Pure Acetone........for stripping a boo boo baby. Do not get suckered inot using the goof off stuff or anything that is gooey. It will leave a terrible residue on the vinyl and the kit will never be right. Just use acetone outside or in a very well ventilated space and it will take the paint off quickly and efficiently.

DAWN detergent. It even took cat pee out of a kit I purchased on line! THAT sold me on the brand for sure. It is the only detergent I use for the vinyl and for my equipment.

MISC.
Cotton pads......cosmetic pads......do not order them from online just buy from dollar store or walmart etc. used for stripping and for cleaning the kit in the beginning.

Tooth picks pointed ends

Qtips......best to get the pointed ended ones. Available at local stores

White nail pencil......

WHITE dish towels to use for lining your halogen oven or your baking sheets for the reg. oven. Make sure they are WHITE

Plastic party cloth to protect your work surface. I use the kind from the dollar store. And I also use a big square of cardboard from an old box that I cover with paper towels. It is great! I've used the same one for more than a year and it shows no sign of falling apart. It absorbs the thinners and the paint mixes without it going thru to the table or cloth.

tweezers......plucking out hairs, making mottle sponges
long forceps......reaching into large heads
small forceps... various odd uses
nail clippers ......for cable tie clipping
old toothbrushes.......one for stripping.......one for rooting.

I think I have gotten it all.......but am sure I will have forgotten some things. All I know is my wrists are tired from typing and I am sure your eyes are tired from reading! LOL

Best of luck
Joy

Back to top Go down
Jenny In NH
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Jenny In NH

PostSubject: well    Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 18:35

i enjoyed reading it !!! lol

thankyou!

Jenny
Back to top Go down
Cindy Joy
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby
Cindy Joy

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 19:01

Thank you Lil' Miss Rebel... LOL... I printed your list out & will change mine... I welcome ALL help!!!
Back to top Go down
KimmieRae
Toddler
Toddler
KimmieRae

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyFri 26 Oct 2012 - 20:53

I am a newbie as well so I am still building up my supplies. But I did want to mention that I bought several small glass bowls, similar in size to the small custard cups at the dollar store, three for a dollar.

Thank you, Joy, for your list. I found a couple items I still need to get.
Back to top Go down
babydoll4u
Toddler
Toddler
babydoll4u

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptySat 27 Oct 2012 - 2:13

kimmie I use those same glass bowls from the dollar store I love them!!!
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptySat 27 Oct 2012 - 11:18

I also use those glass bowls. I can't afford one of those fancy ceramic palettes and even if I did, the wells aren't large enough for me for most things. I hate slop over lol

I get everything I can from the Dollar Tree or other discount stores.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
Joy Franklin
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy EmptySat 27 Oct 2012 - 13:21

LOL....... We have an "up scale" dollar store here in Chelsea. They never have cool stuff that are really useable for reborning. LIke some of you are lucky and get cos sponges at your Dollar Store......not here, BUT you can get a calendar that fits the entire wall in a room for 2.00! That would have been really cool when all our kids were home and we were keeping track of where and when for all. then I looked closer at the calendar.......it was supposed to be an 18 mo. one but it had 4 Januaries from various yearsetc. not real helpful! LOL

My ramekins (custard cup things) cost me 5 dollars each. So no way will I use them. LOL

Gee....go to goodwill etc and get old china stuff like saucers or cups etc.

Re purpose is my motto for the next year. I want to see how creative and CHEAP I can be! LOL

hugs
Joy
Back to top Go down
mohairhouse

PostSubject: mohair for reborning   Need Help with what to Buy EmptyThu 1 Nov 2012 - 14:15

I sell kid, and yearling for reborns. I don't have everything listed on my site that I have in stock so you're welcome to ask and I will email you pics. Coming soon (as soon as I finish shearing) natural brown kid from my triplet girls. I have natural blondes, ash blonde, dark blonde/light brown/frost mix, light red , reddish brown, and brown. My prices range from $15. 00 per 1/2 to $17.50 per 1/2 oz for the shorter hair. 1 ounces start at $30.00 per oz to $35.00 per ounce for the shorter lengths.
You can email me at mohairhouse.sue@gmail.com.
My website is: [i][b]http://www.mohairhouse.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.mohairhouse.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with what to Buy   Need Help with what to Buy Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Help with what to Buy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum :: Reborn Forums :: Store & Ordering Questions-
Jump to: