R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Here Today!

Go down 
+3
Poppy
stonehillnursery
laur812
7 posters
AuthorMessage
laur812
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyTue 18 May 2010 - 23:03

Good evening all! I'm new here today. I belong to the Yahoo group, Reborn Doll Chatter and Carmen from NJ in that group told me about this forum. Thanks Carmen! I'm new to reborning, trying my first baby this week.

My name is Laurie and I live in the western end of NY state, near Rochester. I was an RN before I had to retire at the age of 46 in 2001 because of health issues. Since then I've kept busy with my love of making quilts. Now my interests have changed and I want to make dolls. I have always been a collector of dolls. Started collecting Ashton Drake porcelain babies about 20 years ago and now have quite a few of them, some of the AD So Truly Real dolls and some of their miniatures as well. While browsing on eBay one day for AD dolls, I stumbled upon reborns and have been smitten since! I have won 3 auctions and have 3 new babies here in my home (one of them was done by Carmen and she is just a real beauty!). So now I want to learn how to make them.

I have spent the last few weeks researching and getting beginning supplies. I bought a Tanner sculpt/kit from Bountiful Baby and have been working on that. I've spent the last couple of days learning from my mistakes! Tanner has a big burn on his head where it was hitting the top of the toaster oven during the first bake. I'll try to cover it with hair, but if not, it's going to be a birthmark! He is also a bit cyanotic due to the use of too much blue inside his head. Live and learn! Now he's finally painted and completely heat set. I think he came out pretty well despite the boo-boos. I'm working on microrooting his hair now. I have dreaded even trying to start this process, but now that I started the rooting, I am loving it! I find it very relaxing.

So that's my story so far. If this baby comes out halfway decent, I'll post pics when I get him done. I decided this afternoon that his name will be Samuel.

Thanks for listening and I'm so glad Carmen led me here!!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
http://www.laurieslullabies.com
stonehillnursery
stonehillnursery

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyWed 19 May 2010 - 0:28

,Laurie.. welcome welcome welcome , Ladies this is my very good friend Laurie, she is suffering the growing pains of reborning..LOL I hope we can guide her first steps carefully and lovingly..LOL
ok, girl, jump right in and go check our clases and tutorials.. and anything like always yell for me..
hugs and again. welcome
Carmen in nj
Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyWed 19 May 2010 - 1:01

Hi Laurie! Welcome to the forum welcome I am sure you will love it here and find so much useful information. I am looking forward to seeing some pics of your first baby bigsmile
Back to top Go down
Lara
Admin
Admin
Lara

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyWed 19 May 2010 - 9:36

Hi Laurie!! So glad you are here!!! welcome weeeeee!
Can't wait to see your first baby all finished! Anything we can do to help, just let us know. Everyone is very helpful here!! happyforyou!
Back to top Go down

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyWed 19 May 2010 - 10:38

Welcome to you! You will find alot of helpful ladies and information here! Lara is an amazing teacher!
Back to top Go down
laur812
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Thanks!   New Here Today! EmptyWed 19 May 2010 - 14:52

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcomes! I really appreciate that. I'm so glad Carmen steered me to this site! What a sweetie she is. thankyou!

I finished rooting the hair on my poor little baby last night. Came out pretty well I guess for my first time. I have to say I really enjoyed that process and am even thinking of trying to root the eyelashes rather than using the ones that came with the baby. And I'm also thinking, now that it has hair, that "he" might just be a "she"! Does that happen to anyone else? You start out thinking this baby is going to be a boy and then you think it might be a better girl?

Today I will put in the eyes and hopefully get the baby fully assembled. Will post pics if I get brave enough!

Laurie
wink

lookwhatimade

www.laurieslullabies.com
Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyWed 19 May 2010 - 16:44

Well done that you have almost finished him/her bigsmile I have had that happen a few times where I would think it would be a boy, but sometimes when I put the eyelashes on or root the hair, it looks more feminine. Would love to see some pictures if you decide to post them wave
Back to top Go down
angelicbundles
angelicbundles

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyWed 19 May 2010 - 18:59

Hi Laurie and welcome!! It's so nice to see the forum growing! The ladies here are super sweet and Lara is so talented! I know you will enjoy it! New Here Today! 833939
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/angelicbundles
audrey
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
audrey

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyThu 20 May 2010 - 9:10

Hi Laurie! If you are new to reborning, then this is the place for you. you will learn a lot here from the ladies, and a wealth of information from Lara if you take one of her classes!

HOPE YOUR LABOR GOES WELL WITH TANNER AND THAT YOUR DELIVERY IS SMOOTH AND EASY!! wink

you will find several nurses and retired nurses here. I am a retired RN myself. I lived in Pittsburgh for most of my life before retiring to the South. So my weather is nicer than yours :flower: But I am often "with child" now and loving it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedollmaker2nursery.com
laur812
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: New Baby Done   New Here Today! EmptyThu 20 May 2010 - 18:13

Samuel was born at 11:30 last night. He's far from perfect, but I love him to pieces already and he will always be my special "first" baby. He does have a few boo-boos and hopefully I will have learned from my mistakes and not repeat them. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and can't wait to get started on another one!

Problems that I had:

1. Too much blue inside his head, made him look rather cyanotic but that got much less so after several coats of paint.

2. Don't let the baby's head touch any part of the oven while it's baking!! Samuel has a big "birthmark" where his head was burned. That area wouldn't take to the microrooting either, so he's got a bald spot on the left side of his head. The boy will forever have to wear a hat!

3. Eyes are harder than they look! Had a devil of a time getting them in the sockets and then trying to line them up evenly. Finally got it done, and they're very close, although not perfect. But you'd have to be really close to notice.

4. Eyelashes are even harder than eyes! Wow - such tiny, intricate work. One of them is not quite attached to the right spot on his eyelid and is a little off, but I don't think I can fix that now.

5. Legs go in the bottom holes of the body - not both on the same side!!! (Thank God for spare cable ties!!)

6. Don't overstuff the baby! I did, and it's too late to change that, so Samuel is rather chubby. But he is great to cuddle!

7. Hair - well I know I need a lot of practice and it looks thin, but I wanted it to look thin and wispy. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong with the rooting, but can't put my finger on what it is exactly.

8. Back to painting - my veins practically disappeared after all the painting and heat-setting was done. I think I need more paint in the thinner. Probably made them too thin.

9. Use VERY little paint for milk spots! They look more like pimples on this baby!

OK - so here's some pics. Please let me know what you think, honestly, and don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. I live for constructive criticism and there is always more to learn!

Thanks for looking, and again, thanks for all the wonderful, warm welcomes!! thankyou!

Laurie[img][/img]

PS - OK, I can't figure out how to add pics to this post, so here's a link to my Webshots album. Hoping this works!!
Back to top Go down
laur812
Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Forgot to add the link....   New Here Today! EmptyThu 20 May 2010 - 18:14

DUH me!!! I forgot to add the link to Webshots. This should take you directly to Samuel's album.

http://community.webshots.com/album/577741882rUYEMK

Thanks again! Laurie
Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyThu 20 May 2010 - 23:11

He is so cute!! I think you did a fantastic job, esp for your first baby!!! Well done clapclap I had to have a chuckle that he had two legs on the same side of his body hehe. You must be very pleased with him. Have you decided what your next sculpt will be?
Back to top Go down
CuteAsAPixie
CuteAsAPixie

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! EmptyFri 21 May 2010 - 18:16

Hi Laurie... I am an RN also. My best friend of 42 years is also named Laurie... You will learn something from every baby... I did that once on my first milk bumps. I went back and added paint over it and they came out better. That was the hardest sculpt I ever did. Mine looks like a little old man! Welcome to this group. REAL is a great group. welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Here Today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Here Today!   New Here Today! Empty

Back to top Go down

New Here Today!
Page 1 of 1