R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum, R.E.A.L. - Reborning Expressions and Artful Learning is designed for reborned artists to get together, take classes, learn from each other and chat about reborning!!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Our Roof and Insurance

Go down 
+4
Trish
Karen
Joy Franklin
Orange_Grove_Nursery
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

Our Roof and Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 15:32

We got a sort of rude letter from our house insurance company today saying that our roof has been reported as being moss covered, with curling/cracking shingles and we must replace it before our policy renews in December. My husband called her to find out what that meant and she said that if we don't get the shingles replaced on our roof this spring/summer they'll cancel our policy. affraid We had a guy from Mr. Roof come over recently to get a free estimate and he said it'd be about $10,000 ($11,000 counting the garage). We can't get financing because our credit stinks and we don't have $10,000 just lying around. Please pray we can resolve this somehow. I know God owns the cattle on a thousand fields, maybe He can sell some for us so we can have our roof fixed???

crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/shop/orangegrovenursery?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Joy Franklin
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 16:29

You can redo your roof yourselves. We have done it many times. Get a bunch of friends together and then make a day of it. Between now and June make it a point to nose around at church and find out who does roofing or works for a roofer. Then invite them over for a barbecue and he will see the roof and he will volunteer. This is how my sons are always roofing a buddy's house. LOL
The materials will cost around a thousand I think .....huge difference and very easy to do.
I don't mean to tell you what to do Rachel.....but I have lived for a long time in the same circumstances that you guys do....you learn a lot of survival tips along the way and it is fun to maybe be able to share some with others.
hugs
Joy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 16:36

Does your insurance not cover the roof?
Back to top Go down
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 16:48

The thing is, the pitch of our roof is so high, my husband doesn't feel comfortable going up there. We know a guy (happens to go to our church) who did this sort of thing for years. He came over and after looking at it recommended that we hire someone to do it for us. My husband is VERY handy, and we've been remodeling our house since before we moved in. But, the roof is so important, we don't want to mess up.

Insurance doesn't cover it because it's not something that was "act of nature" the roof was bad when we bought the house. They don't want to cover our house if the roof is bad because they're afraid of it leaking and causing damage to the inside. Lousy insurance company, we're paying them for years and now because of moss and curling shingles on our roof they want to drop us. grrrr
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 16:57

Yep, church is the place to find people to help. When we had the house fire and the insurance didn't cover all the electrical work, church stepped in and helped.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 17:41

We just became members of this church on Easter Sunday. I feel horrible saying "Um, we're members now...so can you help us with some money?!" But, I guess we can put it out there as a prayer request and see what happens. Our former church helped us get a new water heater when our old one made the carbon monoxide detector in our house go off. affraid
Back to top Go down
Trish
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Trish

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 19:56

Have you thought of ringing around other Insurance compaies and see what you may be able to get by changing Insurance Company.
Back to top Go down
Joy Franklin
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 20:20

Trish....around here that is not a good idea. It is best that they get it done as swiftly and quietly as possible . Insurance companies in our state are not making any money at the moment due to the tornados that hit all over the state 3 months ealier than usual, and a ear or two ago due to ice storms destroying people's rooves. hey can cancel you and then you play heck trying to get another insurance policy at a reasonable cost. The company is not being meanthey are being good stewards. A roof that is in bad repair can lead to all srts of damage that hey would be responsible for paying and that would make everyone else's insurance go up. It is a difficult situation. It happened to my mother and we had a heck of a time getting her home insurance. If it had not been for a friend who was an agent for a major national company here in Michigan, mama's house would have been un insured in Oregon.

You could definitely do your roof right Rachel......it is not difficult jst back breaking But with a high pitch it would be less safe for an amateur to do. It requires putting steps of 2x4s on the roof a a place to stand and not slide etc. Best not to geta big hospital bill too.

For now you could spray wash the roof with bleach which will kill the moss and stop it from further damaging the shingles. And, someone could replace the shingles that are bad or just nail them down. It would appear a lot better anyway.

As awful as this sounds maybe a short time part time job at Mc Donald's for you while your hubby is working afternoons would add some money to the roof fund? I took in ironing for years when my oldests were small to pay for house repairs. Then permanent press clothes came on the market! There went my extra income. I also did daycare and once worked for a janitorial firm cleaning women's toilets at a big office building. I did that from 1AM until 6am seven days a week for several months. That way no daycare costs and we got our new water heater and garage door that was ready to fall off and kill someone. You just dowhat you have to do sometimes. You look back from old age and laugh and wonder where you got all that energy!!!!! LOL

love you
joy
Back to top Go down
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 22:05

A job for me just won't work. We only have one vehicle and I need to be home for the kids. If I got a job, the cost of another car (plus insurance for it, plate tabs, gas to go in it) and daycare wouldn't be worth me working outside the home. I sew on commission (and reborn) to make a little extra, but not enough to pay for this. If we did the roof ourselves, my husband would have to take about a month off of work to do it. There's a lot of roof to do, with many valleys.

Our Roof and Insurance 6210

Our Roof and Insurance 6311

Our Roof and Insurance 6611

And the garage

Our Roof and Insurance 0111

Back to top Go down
Trish
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Trish

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 22:19

Yes we pay our Insurance every year and if can find a better price, we are free to change, not that we have changed for last 10 years or so, but then we over 50.....and get cheaper insurance anyway...but also we have not had to have a claim. Our house and contents, Car and caravan Insurance is with the same company.

It is called Seniors Insurance Company, and if you are over 50 can get.....
Back to top Go down
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptyFri 20 Apr 2012 - 22:29

Oh, I forgot to say, our insurance agent had told us previously that with an older roof, our premium would go up until we could get it replaced/repaired. We were aware of that, not that they would drop us, so this came as quite a shock.
Back to top Go down
Karen
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Karen

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySat 21 Apr 2012 - 0:14

Rachel, these organizations may be able to help you or at least point you in the direction to get help.
http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,1607,7-124-5453_5531-15407--,00.html

http://www.ludington.mi.us/departments/community_development/docs/HOME_REPAIR_ASSISTANCE_PROGRAMS2009.pdf

Now is not the time to be proud.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bluefairybabies.com
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySat 21 Apr 2012 - 0:20

I hadn't thought of DHS, we do get a bit of food assistance, maybe we should try asking our rep about help for the roof?? It's worth a try at least.

Back to top Go down
Poppy
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Poppy

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySat 21 Apr 2012 - 5:38

Wow, that seems so harsh that they have that condition for your insurance.. before I had children, I was an insurance broker and looked after peoples house, contents, car and boat insurance... we don't have that condition for roofs over here .... yet anyway. I hope you can find some way of getting it fixed.
Back to top Go down
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySat 21 Apr 2012 - 16:47

My husband had the idea of seeing if we could get a quote for just the second story of our house and he'd do the rest of the roof himself. If we could do that, it would be cheaper.

Back to top Go down
threads
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySat 21 Apr 2012 - 19:34

An insurance Policy is not a Maintenance policy. It insures you against Storm, Flood, Water and Impace
generally.

If you have a water leak, the policy will not cover tracing where the leak is coming from ( and that can run
into hundres of pounds,) it will not pay for the damaged pipe, it will pay for any damage the water caused,
ie new flooring or carpeting. I speak from experience. Had an arguement with my insurance company
last year, as we had a water leak and it uplifted our flooring, they said they woud not pay for the utiltity room floor
as we had a glazed door shutting this room off from the kitchen, I pointed out that the flooring was laid as
one room, they were adament they would not pay for it, so we would have had to pay, but the guy who
had the job of replacing it, well lets say he fixed it for no cost, lol. he liked tea and my scones. My husband
and I worked for our Insurance company for 73 years between us, and they had excluded a few more things that
were obviously costing them money, since we had worked there.

When I bought my first property I was told that I needed a new roof, and that was the first thing
I saved up for, I slept on the floor and sat on deck chairs until the roof had been done and then
saved up for furniture. If the mortgage company say that you have to renew roof, garage, whatever,
they used to come round when a year was up and if the work had not been done they would call in
your mortgage. Not sure that still applies today.
Back to top Go down
http://www.threads-for-tiny-tots.webs.com
Lynknursery
Lynknursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySat 21 Apr 2012 - 21:39

Rachel, your husband does not work 24 hours a day, so there would be times where you can go out to work and have the car and hubby is home to look after the kids too.
I was in a single income single car family for years, and my kids were little. For first year of first child I walked everywhere, including about 5 kms one way to a g/f's place once a week just so I could visit. She also had no car at home and 6 kids so was easier for me to walk to her than vice versa.
I managed to find work at night for 2 to 3 days a week working nights cleaning Kmart/Coles and including the toilets. Number of days varied depending on absences of permanent staff. I have never seen grottier toilets than the mens rooms in the staff areas of KMart, OMG they were absolute grots. I used to feel like disinfecting myself under the shower when I got home. I would grab a couple hours sleep at a time when kdis had a nap, or while hubby was home to care for kids and I was not at work. I eventually went back to school and completed my teacher training when my youngest of 3 was 4 years old. Kids went to school and so did I for 3 years. The remainder of my studies was then off campus.

If it needs to be done you find a way of doing so instead of just making excuses.
Back to top Go down
http://lynkproducts.com.au
loretta
Steady Walker
Steady Walker
loretta

PostSubject: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySun 22 Apr 2012 - 1:56

Rachel I also worked nights only night off was Sunday, I did this for over 10 years so as there would always be one of us home with the children, I still did everything that was need in our home and also the cooking, I would leave home about 6pm. Barry would put the kids to bed.

It is hard but we needed the money and we did'nt want child care.

Hope things work out for you

Back to top Go down
Orange_Grove_Nursery
Advanced Walker
Advanced Walker
Orange_Grove_Nursery

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance EmptySun 22 Apr 2012 - 20:10

I just posted this here for people to pray for us. I didn't really want to get into discussions about what we should do or give up. My husband & I decided right from the beginning before we even had kids that I would be a stay-at-home mom. We knew it would make the budget tight, but it's important to us. I'm not getting a job outside the home. I'm not making excuses, that's just what we decided. If you want to pray for us, please do, we could use the prayer.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our Roof and Insurance   Our Roof and Insurance Empty

Back to top Go down

Our Roof and Insurance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
R.E.A.L.. Reborning Expressions & Artful Learning Forum :: Non-Reborn Forums :: Prayer requests-
Jump to: